CMS to Launch Medicare Advantage Enrollment Assistant in 2011

Thanks for the update Craig.

If it is anything like the KS SCHIP program (the assistance program here in Kansas) agents have nothing to worry about. They give out more wrong info then they do correct.

anyone know what two states their doing this in?
Unknown at this point.

Here is the link to the CMS doc on this. See #4 where CMS is talking about which state(s) to pick. Sounds like they want states with High MA enrollment and Higher than average Marketing violations.

They were supposed to post the call transcript today, but I didn't see it.

More questions than answers at this point.

I of course hate to see this type of thing but do believe that it is a good time to have this fight because those who oppose the public option can point to this type of thing and say unequivocally that the government is using trojan horse program to eliminate private sector competition. The partly line the dems have used to support the public option is that it will only increase competition but the opponents argue that the government will just use the power of the government to favor a government option and curtail marketing/competition for the others. Could we have a clearer example than this? Now we are talking about the feds coming into the senior market and having government funded enrollers and recommenders all while telling the private carriers that they may not even be able to do their own marketing in the region. You just go with what the government guy recommends.

There simply is a fight in this country that must take place and fortunately we are now getting into it.

Last edited:
My experience in the senior market(for those soon-to-be 65)....

AARP markets med-supps to everyone turning 65. BC/BS of FL. markets to everyone turning 65. Both via mail. T65's have the right to simply fill out the med-supp application and mail it in. Other agents are calling T-65's.

My point...there's a great deal of competition now.

From reading Craig's blog at least 3 times, the Government better not tell me I can't market my products I'm offering or I'll be raising hell. The Government does a less than stellar job now in the insurance industry. Eliminating the honest, hard working agent, in this field is unacceptable to me.

I had a client call into Medicare to ask about MAPD plans for his wife for 2010. She recommended that he should go with a particular company, low premiums, great benefits, etc. He called me to discuss the plan. It turns out the plan that Medicare recommended was for people in nursing homes, SNP plan. He just wasn't willing to put his wife in the nursing home to get that plan, ahh what you gonna do

I agree. If the level of knowledge stays the same then you MA guys won't have anything to worry about. 1800Medicare and Missouri's CLAIM (another uneducated "help" desk type thing) cause more confusion with the consumers than the dumbest agent... even Yoda.

Back