Cold Call Med Supps? This Will Help You Decide the Areas to Work!

pbbaseball

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have friends that I've known over the years that either can't decide where to work for medicare supplements, don't understand why they get good direct mail results in some counties, poor results in others, and why so much of their business is replaced with MA's.

Think I've read people on the board mention they are having a tough go at calling and getting results, or not enough results.

Here's an excel sheet with July medicare advantage penetration numbers per county in every state in the US. I've always known which counties were best for med supps where I live, but friends complained that they were spending a lot and not selling a lot.

Turns out the counties I've focused on are always between 4-9% MA penetration, but the ones they drop mail in are 45% MA penetrated...

Anyways, hope it helps!

Attachments

• State_County_Penetration_MA_2011_07.zip
    140.9 KB · Views: 239
Re: Cold Call Med Supps? This Will Help You Decide the Areas to W

thanks for sharing.. interesting info. How about Puerto Rico
with MA.. seems to be the highest enrollement % into MA. Hawaii was very high as well.

Not sure about PR... I was interested at the vast differences depending on counties. Everything I had seen beforehand just showed state penetration, and I knew it was waaaayyyy lower where I live than where I used to live.

before this I went off of experience, and looked at the state DOI website, and if there were a lot of MA's available, usually there were more customers with them, but this really shows what we are going up against in those counties

I do agree cold calling for med supp in areas with lower MA penetration will have more success. PA is my home state and MA penetration is very high.. its one of the reasons I will continue to sell both MA and Med Supp. Plenty of room to grow in the Senior marketplace.

Best Wishes

Thanks for the info. I'm just getting started and this is very helpful.:)

Great resource - what's the source? i.e. where can I go to in the future to get this info on my own? Thx.

This is a very good link.Interesting lack of MA plans sold in Vermont. They just passed a single payer law for the state,Obama's plan doesn't go far enough for Vermont..I am not sure agents will be able to sell anything there in the future.

Pulled it direct from the CMS website... just google it and search on the CMS website and it will update each month...

Back