Congress Looking at Limiting Medigap Options

LOL! I would need to sell a boat load of FE month to month to replace my medsup renewal income. At least P&C is a renewal business...

If this med sup game goes belly up I'm either going P&C or I i'll get my loan originator license and start kissing some realtor ass.

While very true as I started in FE full time before going to medicare, P&C is 100 times the service work. Good luck with the mortgage license as well. I see another recession on the horizon because the same government that wants to "fix" medigap is going to one day put interest rates where they should be.

So far the only here to say anything that really made any sense, and had a real solution was Rick... ---------- Thank you for putting words in my mouth. I didn't realize that is what I thought :skeptical:

Do you see these symbols "?" after a few of my sentences? Those are called question marks. Meaning I was asking a question. That's not putting words in your mouth. Are you also saying the doc fix isn't something that would be a helpful solution in regard to Medicare? There's that symbol again. It's a question.

Do you see these symbols "?" after a few of my sentences? Those are called question marks. Meaning I was asking a question. That's not putting words in your mouth. Are you also saying the doc fix isn't something that would be a helpful solution in regard to Medicare? There's that symbol again. It's a question.

The context of the paragraph and the wording of the "question" made it appear to be more of a rhetorical question or a statement, rather than an actual question.

A doc fix, medsupp changes, and most of the things already discussed on this thread would help some. Unfortunately it is not enough. Medicare and SS take up roughly half the Federal budget. the things you are talking about would barely put a dent in the deficit. In order to make any real significant changes Medicare has to be phased out, and SS has to be either privatized or also phased out.

Simply put, it is impossible to balance the budget without eliminating Medicare and SS.

Doc fix, SGR, chained CPI, all these fancy ideas DC has for "fixing" broken programs won't work.

DC has been running SS for 80 years and still doesn't have it right.

They declared a war on poverty in 1964. How successful was that? We have more poor people (as a % of the population) than anytime since the Great Depression.

LBJ gave us Medicare in 1966. Almost 50 years of managing a health insurance program and it isn't right either.

Those guys would screw up a 1 car funeral procession.

Simply put, it is impossible to balance the budget without eliminating Medicare and SS.

You overlook welfare, food stamps, housing ......... all those great give away programs for able bodied people who mostly choose not to work.

The context of the paragraph and the wording of the "question" made it appear to be more of a rhetorical question or a statement, rather than an actual question. A doc fix, medsupp changes, and most of the things already discussed on this thread would help some. Unfortunately it is not enough. Medicare and SS take up roughly half the Federal budget. the things you are talking about would barely put a dent in the deficit. In order to make any real significant changes Medicare has to be phased out, and SS has to be either privatized or also phased out. Simply put, it is impossible to balance the budget without eliminating Medicare and SS.

You brought up one item, the penalty for those with Med Supps. So I countered that with one item, the doc fix. If you wanted to have a conversation on attacking the country's debt maybe you should have discussed more than just the one issue. But in regard to helping Medicare, I firmly believe the doc fix does more than charging a penalty to those with Med Supps.

If you want to address the entire funding of the government and how to fix it, you might want to head over to the politics forum. There will be a handful of people over there that would be glad to have that discussion with you.

So what happens to all the guaranteed renewal med supps in force when this doomsday occurs?

I do believe in preparing for possible changes in the future, especially when it comes to areas where the government is involved. Wise agents will use their renewals to set up a reserve fund and have a backup career plan just in case. That said, I don't believe Medicare is going anywhere for a long time and believe there will be a need for agents to serve the Medicare market for a long time. Any changes to Medicare to solve budget problems will result in Medicare benefits being poorer than they are now. This means bigger gaps to fill. We help fill those gaps. Any legislation that would prevent seniors from filling these larger gaps would not go over well with this reliable voting bloc.

The proposal to eliminate first dollar coverage has come up before. It was dropped before the ACA legislation was enacted. Insurance companies have a lot of good lobbyists.

The proposal to eliminate first dollar coverage has come up before. It was dropped before the ACA legislation was enacted. Insurance companies have a lot of good lobbyists.

AARP has probably done more to shape the Medicare and health insurance market than any other marketing (lobbying) group in the country. Kickbacks from the sale of health insurance related products keeps them afloat.

AARP has probably done more to shape the Medicare and health insurance market than any other marketing (lobbying) group in the country. Kickbacks from the sale of health insurance related products keeps them afloat.

Kickbacks?????

They are an under the table subsidiary of UHC and NYL. Its way more than kickbacks.

Those of us who stayed in U65 are reaping the benefits from those who went on doomsday bandwagon.

Everyone GET A GRIP.

Med Supps are going nowhere. They might tweak Plan F (and even G) to remove first dollar coverage, but even that's a stretch. Congress is not going to screw over the largest voting block.

Its just another worthless, waste of time and money Congressional hearing.

Back