Congress Looking at Limiting Medigap Options

Hey wait I thought we solved all those problem's didn't we?

Wasn't it we were going to spend our way out of debt?

wasn't this ACA and other things going to fix every thing so no one is without and have that great cov like in Cuba, candida and Europe.

That the fact that so many come here for medical treatment is not a sign that it does not work well over there and any contrary info is mis info

and we would have would peace by apologizing to everyone in the middle east to end terrorism?

Are not we out of the recession?

are not all the troops back from war?

didn't we end poverty?

I mean every argument against that wasn't it racist or ignorant no matter how much evidence and documentation was presented?

Now that I am moving and losing my INS though wife's job I even called .gov for a quote and was told anything I see is not really what I am going to get

That even though what I see does not look like good plans really are a lot better because after I get the plan then the govt picks up deductibles and such.

I said wait a minute how come it does not say that anywhere how do I confirm before I commit

She said the lonely way to know how the plan will cover is to get the plan and then see what it looks like after I use it .

How come I don't feel comfortable with that

The NAIC looked at this some years back and did not endorse changing the Medicare supplement program as it sits.

I don't see Medicare supplements changing at all for the following:

AARP has the ear of a lot of politicians and would not want the loss of income

Seniors are still the largest voting block and do not want their coverage change (People were up in arms last election when Paul Ryan suggested changing Medicare for those under 55 years of age)

The insurance industry has a heck of a lobbying program

Any money that the government saves I am sure they will turn around and spend responsibly (insert joke here).

Seniors are still the largest voting block and do not want their coverage change (People were up in arms last election when Paul Ryan suggested changing Medicare for those under 55 years of age)

Let's not forget why they were up in arms. It was because of fear mongering commercials like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnE83A1Z4U

Now we'll see the same type of crap whenever someone suggests changes to ACA.

I was about to say what Mike said, AARP will bitch slap a politician for even trying to be serious about that type of change.

I was about to say what Mike said, AARP will bitch slap a politician for even trying to be serious about that type of change.

Let's hope you're right. When I went to a Medicare supplement conference in 2013, this very issue came up before a panel of 3 CEO's from companies that do a lot of Med Supp business (Mutual of Omaha and Aetna were represented - can't remember the 3rd). Agents asked why they weren't doing anything to stop these attempts to limit choice in the Medicare supplement market. They really indicated that they weren't making any efforts to defend their products. When asked why weren't they reaching out to their insured's to let them know what politicians were considering their response was that "grass roots efforts wouldn't work".

I think they are thinking this won't happen, or that they'd somehow be consulted by the politicians who are putting these ideas forward before they actually change the rules. Personally, I think they are mistaken to think that "someone else will take care of it".

I'm most likely going to reach out to my base & suggest they call their representatives about this. They should know that these items are being discussed again and it could impact them in a big way.

Let's hope you're right. When I went to a Medicare supplement conference in 2013, this very issue came up before a panel of 3 CEO's from companies that do a lot of Med Supp business (Mutual of Omaha and Aetna were represented - can't remember the 3rd). Agents asked why they weren't doing anything to stop these attempts to limit choice in the Medicare supplement market. They really indicated that they weren't making any efforts to defend their products. When asked why weren't they reaching out to their insured's to let them know what politicians were considering their response was that "grass roots efforts wouldn't work".

I think they are thinking this won't happen, or that they'd somehow be consulted by the politicians who are putting these ideas forward before they actually change the rules. Personally, I think they are mistaken to think that "someone else will take care of it".

I'm most likely going to reach out to my base & suggest they call their representatives about this. They should know that these items are being discussed again and it could impact them in a big way.

I think the 3rd one was Bankers Life

I think the 3rd one was Bankers Life

Yes - that sounds right. So, if you were there, you remember the guy from Iowa that stood up & told them that was "bull"? He then went on to describe meetings he'd been holding to explain the impact of the ACA on Medicare & he was packing rooms full of people who then started calling the state representatives to voice their displeasure? It was quite a session.

The executives seemed very out of touch to me & to others. After working in telecommunications & other industries that felt like they were untouchable, it felt eerily familiar and depressing to me.

I posted this today about the hearing yesterday on fixing the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) payment problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
]

Sorry I missed this thread.. I have the video from the hearings, and incorporated them into this video to potential clients:

..skip ahead to the 1:22 minute mark to get right to the video from the hearings on this very topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I missed this thread.. I have the video from the hearings, and incorporated them into this video to potential clients:

Congress Considers Changes to Plan F - YouTube

..skip ahead to the 1:22 minute mark to get right to the video from the hearings on this very topic.

They talk about Medigap & how it makes people feel healthcare is free? Aren't all of these people talking covered by "free" healthcare that the American Taxpayer provides for them as "employer based (i.e. the Federal Government) insurance"??? They have a lot of nerve talking about people & how they behave when seeking medical care or even having choices in how they insure against loss . . . .

They talk about Medigap & how it makes people feel healthcare is free? Aren't all of these people talking covered by "free" healthcare that the American Taxpayer provides for them as "employer based (i.e. the Federal Government) insurance"??? They have a lot of nerve talking about people & how they behave when seeking medical care or even having choices in how they insure against loss . . . .

If you will recall, they had to tweak Obamacare because Congress was about to lose all its staffers. They were being required to into the exchange, which isn't even in the same league as insurance from the government when it comes to benefits and premium.

Back