The Cost of Getting into Selling Med Supps

Buff Minorcan

Guru
100+ Post Club
So over the past few months I've invested about $5,000 into Final Expense leads and wasn't all that happy with the return. But to be 100% honest the return isn't the main issue. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me, when I do walk into a cat piss filled trailer and meet a prospect that hasn't bathed in awhile I absolutely sit down with them and have a conversation. I never just dive out the door unless I'm running late for my next appointment.

So I'm a nice guy, but annual premium be damned I really don't see myself buying more FE leads and getting better at holding my breath.

So, Med Supps. Always liked the idea of them and it seems like a more consultation type sale. You are saving them money, not taking.

1. I don't want to sell over the phone. I see that pushed around here and maybe I'll come around but in the beginning I'd really like to learn the ropes face to face with clients. Plus I'm to good looking to confine myself to a home office ;)

2. I know Florida is no good to sell them in. But I'm right beside Georgia so the plan is to set appointments, get a cheap hotel, and work there 4 days a week. I realize many states are even better and Georgia is no peach (get it?) but it is what it is.

3. Will certainly be signing up at Medicare Training 101 and MedicareAgentTraining.com and absorbing all the info I can. If you guys have any other sites or reading materials to suggest that would be great.

4. Leads. Are Direct Mail leads the way to go for Med Supps just like FE? Do TM leads perform a little better or about the same? Will I need to plan for another $5000 in lead startup costs to really get going?

That's pretty much where I am right now. Any advise and input is appreciated.

I would suggest that you also get certified for the top 3-4 Medicare Drug Plans in the areas that you want to target. It will solidify the relationship with your client and strengthen referrals.

Direct Mail works pretty well, 2-3% response rates are common. Even cold calling T65 biz works, just have to put the time in.

Thanks, don't know anything about certifications for Medicare Drug plans so I will look into that.

Sounds like DM for Med Supps is about the same for FE and the way to go.

Ouch that's low. Can only hope Georgia is better. Might be able to use TM leads to get started tho.

Ouch that's low. Can only hope Georgia is better. Might be able to use TM leads to get started tho.

In order to get any real advice about selling supps, you first need to start a thread in the FE forum asking if any of them are smarter than their prospects. Once you have cut all ties to that forum you will be ready...

Thanks, don't know anything about certifications for Medicare Drug plans so I will look into that. Sounds like DM for Med Supps is about the same for FE and the way to go.

You don't have to be certified to help your Med Sup customers with their RX plans. You can do it right over the Medicare.gov website. RX plans only pay peanuts anyway.

In order to get any real advice about selling supps, you first need to start a thread in the FE forum asking if any of them are smarter than their prospects. Once you have cut all ties to that forum you will be ready...

Haha yeah I'm like a fish outa water over here.

Do this before you spend any money on marketing.

Will do.

You don't have to be certified to help your Med Sup customers with their RX plans. You can do it right over the Medicare.gov website. RX plans only pay peanuts anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Back