Creating a Medicare Sales Seminar Strategy

Denniston

Expert
Brand new agent here. I'm certified with all the MAPD carriers in my area. Only have a couple MA/Med Sup. sales under my belt.

I've been searching for an article that really lays out an effective strategy on how to build a book of business with seminars during AEP. But I haven't really been able to find that, so I thought collective knowledge of this forum could provide much knowledge.

What has worked for you....
Where to host them?
Who to contact?
How to get people there?

Here's what I have in place so far.
2 Medicare educational events at the local senior center in Sept & Oct., going to schedule 2 sales seminars there too.

I have 14 seminars booked for every Tuesday and every Thursday during AEP at two local restaurants to hold sales seminars. Two carriers will be advertising these in the local newspaper.

I have a feeling if I rely on the newspaper to get people there, no one might show up. Correct? Are there any low-cost ways to get people to show up?

I also want to schedule more seminars, I just don't have the locations nailed down yet.

What should I be doing in the next two months to 1) get prepared, 2) build up some sales.

Thanks for all the help.

- Jason

Brand new agent here. I'm certified with all the MAPD carriers in my area. Only have a couple MA/Med Sup. sales under my belt.

I've been searching for an article that really lays out an effective strategy on how to build a book of business with seminars during AEP. But I haven't really been able to find that, so I thought collective knowledge of this forum could provide much knowledge.

What has worked for you....
Where to host them?
Who to contact?
How to get people there?

Here's what I have in place so far.
2 Medicare educational events at the local senior center in Sept & Oct., going to schedule 2 sales seminars there too.

I have 14 seminars booked for every Tuesday and every Thursday during AEP at two local restaurants to hold sales seminars. Two carriers will be advertising these in the local newspaper.

I have a feeling if I rely on the newspaper to get people there, no one might show up. Correct? Are there any low-cost ways to get people to show up?

I also want to schedule more seminars, I just don't have the locations nailed down yet.

What should I be doing in the next two months to 1) get prepared, 2) build up some sales.

Thanks for all the help.

- Jason

Seminars are a very difficult way for a newbie to get started, at least in my opinion.

You have to be really careful with how the material is presented and, at the same time, impress enough attendees to work with you.

How many of the seminars are educational? Those aren't going to generate much revenue for you given all of the marketing constraints.

Having carriers helping with the advertising is good but without a direct mailing it's going to be tough to get people there, at least from my experience.

Are those carriers going to refer callins (from TV ads or their own direct mail) in your area during AEP to your meetings? If not you are most likely looking at very low attendance.

Are you absorbing the cost of the 14 seminars completely? If you add more advertising or direct mail on top of that it's most likely not going to be profitable.

I'm sure there are agents in here that have worked more Medicare seminars than I have, but it's a very short list. When part d came out and scared everyone it was easy to fill a room, but it got to the point where if literally anyone showed up it was unusual. I was a salaried carrier rep so for me it didn't make a huge difference other than lost sales time, but I got my reports and such done while I was actively waiting for nothing to happen.

You may have luck trying to promote it at local senior centers, but I usually would just have a seminar there if they would let me.

Seminars are a very difficult way for a newbie to get started, at least in my opinion.

What makes you say that seminars are a very difficult way for newbies to get started?

How many of the seminars are educational? Those aren't going to generate much revenue for you given all of the marketing constraints.

The only educational seminars I am doing are the ones before AEP.

Having carriers helping with the advertising is good but without a direct mailing it's going to be tough to get people there, at least from my experience.

This is my fear. I really don't have the budget to do mailers for the event.

Are those carriers going to refer callins (from TV ads or their own direct mail) in your area during AEP to your meetings? If not you are most likely looking at very low attendance.

Yes. At least I know that for sure on the one carrier that I'm doing seminars for. They are new to the market, so I hope they generate some buzz. They also mentioned live transfers.

Are you absorbing the cost of the 14 seminars completely? If you add more advertising or direct mail on top of that it's most likely not going to be profitable.

At this point yes. Luckily I have the locations for free. All I will have to pay for is the snacks.

Susan also lives in a Birthday Rule State (CA), where someone can switch Supps once a year around that time without medical underwriting. I think only OR has has the same rule and MO has the Anniversary Rule.

In most other states, unless there's a GI Med Supp (like one of the Blues has in IL), or states with some other special rules like NY & CT, if they can't pass UW they can't get a Supp.

I do Medicare 101 seminarsat my local library. Since I sell MAPD, MedSupp, and PDP, I just cover the basics of all of the above. I do them as educational seminars (my local library doesn't allow sales activities). I do not mention carriers and prices and I do not collect any info for personal contact. I do not place business cards out, but provide them upon request (If your information is good and people can tell that you are there to help them, they will always ask for them). The last page of my presentation gives all of my business info. and I let people know that if they have any questions specific to their individual circumstance they can reach me at the contact information provided. I started doing these because of so much terrible advice I was seeing given by family and friends as well as field agents. Just be careful in how you word everything and make sure you are following the educational seminar guidelines to a T. I'd hate to lose my license because someone asked me a question and answered with carrier specific plans and prices vs. generalizations.

What makes you say that seminars are a very difficult way for newbies to get started? It's tough to get people to attend and educational seminars don't have an immediate return because you can't set appointments afterwards. Also, as someone new to this market you are more likely to say something that is not compliant or accurate than someone who has been doing this for multiple years and it could result in compliance issues, including the possible termination of your appointments. I'm not trying to scare you but you will get secret shopped at your seminars at least 1X

The only educational seminars I am doing are the ones before AEP.

This is my fear. I really don't have the budget to do mailers for the event. You won't find out until it is too late, without real carrier support (referring people to attend your seminar, not just advertising) you can't count on decent attendance

Yes. At least I know that for sure on the one carrier that I'm doing seminars for. They are new to the market, so I hope they generate some buzz. They also mentioned live transfers. If the carrier isn't a national entity it's probably going to be difficult but hopefully it works for you.

At this point yes. Luckily I have the locations for free. All I will have to pay for is the snacks

Back