CSG for Rate Increase Data?

Bevo

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anyone use the upgraded CSG plan that includes historical rate increase data, and if so how accurate have you found it to be?

I don't really use it but have access to it via an association.

For zip 30024 (GA) there are 36 plan F's listed.

According to CSG 9 have never had a rate increase (or they haven't been in the market long enough to show one). Or maybe not in GA long enough.

The 9 with no rate history are Manhattan, Combined, UCT, Companion, Aetna (Health and Life), Medico, Oxford, Christian Fidelity.

6 more only have 1 rate increase over the last 4 years. Bankers Fidelity, American Retirement Life, Physicians Mutual, State Farm, Colonial Penn, Omaha.

What you can't find out is how many increases United of Omaha had before Omaha Ins Co

The CLI story is interesting because they show for the last 4 years
8%
-19.4%
9.5%
9.5%

for an average of 2.7% which is mostly useless. I guess if you want to showcase CLI (even though they are not taking new apps) you could tell someone they averaged 2.7% over the last 4 years and make it sound like a really good reason to buy the new Aetna.

Curiously you could show the old Aetna
3.4%
-20%
9%
4%

for an average of -1.6%

It's fun to play with but useless in a sales situation.

Does anyone use the upgraded CSG plan that includes historical rate increase data, and if so how accurate have you found it to be?

For the carriers I use, it has been accurate.

What is not always accurate is the rates after the increase. As long as two months have gone by without the new rates showing up on CSG.

I use it daily and have found it to be accurate. Shows last four years of both increase history and age increases. FYI, we provide this tool free of charge to any agents that contract through us.

Accurate in WI....but somewhat behind on a few. I use it to show market share and increases back to June 2010. Of course they don't show closed blocks or pre-2010. In WI, CLI stopped selling in 2014, and started American Continental 4/1/14. Aetna is the new MOO.
WI has a lookup on the Commissioners web to see all past rate filings.
Closed blocks are interesting to see as enrollment numbers drop on plans who where cheap at one time.
Cost is a marathon, not a sprint. Mippa opened the flood gates.

Back