CUL - Dental Vision Health - Selling Experience?

Some agents are on a front loaded commission level, perhaps 45%/4%. Others are on a level commission usually around 15%.. So on a $360 AP, the agent would make $54 per year on the level commission rate.

That still doesn't explain the statement about networks.

On a side note, I recently had their contracting paperwork sent to me and your post made me go take a look at it because I didn't recall having the option of choosing a lower first year and higher renewals. Mine shows 45% first year and 6% renewals. No mention of a different option.

Here is the Problem with that plan you have a $100 deductible per person on that plan. So if your client goes there just for a cleaning and they don't pay anything and pays $85.00 and the insurance pays nothing they are going to say why am I paying almost $500 and getting nothing for it.

I think you're asking for grief.

Here is the Problem with that plan you have a $100 deductible per person on that plan. So if your client goes there just for a cleaning and they don't pay anything and pays $85.00 and the insurance pays nothing they are going to say why am I paying almost $500 and getting nothing for it.

The average dentist visit in the US costs over $200. According to google its $280 for the average routine checkup

At 2 checkups per year, that is $560 per year for dental expenses.

Eye doctors charge $100 - $300 for routine checkups. Not including the $100-$500 you pay for glasses or contacts.

If I remember correctly, the Plan pays 80% of expenses up to $1500.

2 dentist visits + 1 eye exam + glasses will be in the $900-$1300 range for the year.

$300 in premiums + $100 deductible + 20% of $1k= $600 in out of pocket costs

That means it saves you $300-$600 just on basic routine care.

Its not the best dental plan Ive ever seen, its not the best vision plan ive ever seen. But considering the price and that there are no networks. It is probably one of the most competitive plans ive seen.

Last edited:

I agree, selling a dental plan is likely setting yourself up for a headache down the road. But I do have a question for you. Where in the world are you seeing a dentist that charges $85 for a routine cleaning? I go twice per year for cleanings and on one of those visits I also have x-rays done. I think it's somewhere between $350-$400 for both visits.

The average dentist visit in the US costs over $200. According to google its $280 for the average routine checkup

At 2 checkups per year, that is $560 per year for dental expenses.

Eye doctors charge $100 - $300 for routine checkups. Not including the $100-$500 you pay for glasses or contacts.

If I remember correctly, the Plan pays 80% of expenses up to $1500.

2 dentist visits + 1 eye exam + glasses will be in the $900-$1300 range for the year.

$300 in premiums + $100 deductible + 20% of $1k= $600 in out of pocket costs

That means it saves you $300-$600 just on basic routine care.

Its not the best dental plan Ive ever seen, its not the best vision plan ive ever seen. But considering the price and that there are no networks. It is probably one of the most competitive plans ive seen.

You left out the fact it also pays Benefits for hearing services. Priced a set of hearing aids lately? Mine set me back 5 grand.

You left out the fact it also pays Benefits for hearing services. Priced a set of hearing aids lately? Mine set me back 5 grand.

I did. Thats a hefty price. Just the exam alone Id imagine is $100-$300.

Out of curiosity, how often do you have to get new ones?

I did. Thats a hefty price. Just the exam alone Id imagine is $100-$300.

Out of curiosity, how often do you have to get new ones?

Exams are normally free. I don't know about replacing but I just had mine "retuned" . Been about a year since I bought them.

Since we're talking about it - I just e-mailed my upline because I called in to Manhattan/CUL and it was like talking to a brick wall trying to get my question answered.

When a doc won't do the claim and it's left to the client to manually submit the claim, it's not clear how they should do it. On their site, there are four forms under the "claim forms" heading. The first and third look like options - but which one should they use?

https://www.manhattanlife.com/Contract-Policy-holders/Claim-Forms/Dental-Vision-Hearing

I can see a senior getting aggravated over manually submitting the claim.

Also, thank you everyone for letting me know that 40% is low. If street is 45%, then I need to go back and see about getting bumped up. Not that 5% is that big of a deal... but.

Where in the world are you seeing a dentist that charges $85 for a routine cleaning? I go twice per year for cleanings and on one of those visits I also have x-rays done. I think it's somewhere between $350-$400 for both visits.

I go to the Anderson campus of Ivy Tech. The dental hygiene students do a cleaning for $20 and you can add a full mouth X-ray for $10.:biggrin:

I go to the Anderson campus of Ivy Tech. The dental hygiene students do a cleaning for $20 and you can add a full mouth X-ray for $10.:biggrin:

Well, there's no dental school anywhere near me so it's full price in my area.

Back