CUL - Dental Vision Health - Selling Experience?

CUL - Dental Vision Hearing - Selling Experience?

For those of you currently writing CUL's DVH plan, what has been your experience selling it?

Do you find it easier to close than a MedSupp replacement?

Do any of you lead with this and x-sell something else like MedSupp or FE or vice-versa?

Is the application process pretty simple to do with a client over the phone?

On paper, this looks like a great plan to BOTH have and sell...just wondering what your actual experience is.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
Im not a fan of Dental/Vision insurance. One, its really not a good value for the client. Two, for maybe $60 commission I have had to check networks, reply to complaints etc. Im sure Im in the vast minority but--just not worth it. If your MAPD carrier has a Dental rider for $20 a month better to do that.

Interesting. Thanks for your comment. That seems to be a common theme for most dental plans. However, I have read other comments indicating this one is quite different since it is missing many of the drawbacks (narrow networks, usual & customary charges, etc.) that are found in most dental policies.

I am wondering if this product is good enough that the subscriber and agent experience IS worth it. As I said above...."On paper..."

Im not a fan of Dental/Vision insurance. One, its really not a good value for the client. Two, for maybe $60 commission I have had to check networks, reply to complaints etc. Im sure Im in the vast minority but--just not worth it. If your MAPD carrier has a Dental rider for $20 a month better to do that.

There is no network and its 45% comm

The CUL DVH plan is a good plan, however I am not a fan of CUL or any of its affiliate companies after a recent experience.
Clients took out a CUL dental, vision, hearing plan and never received their policies in the mail even after having them resent. They wanted to cancel. I tried to conserve, understanding the mail was likely working slow in the Houston area still, but the client wanted me to use a different company (Medico) for them instead. Should be not a problem to cancel, right? I contacted CUL and was told the clients could not get a refund because it had been "more than 10 days after the premium drafted". I asked the representative about the 30 day right to review the policy and she stated, "this was a different type of policy and it didn't have that rule." I asked where that is stated and she said "in the policy but that's what I was told to tell people". I looked at the policy and it clearly states the 30 Day Right to Return clause. I later spoke with a Manager there who told me their no refund policy of more than 10 days after the draft is stated in their internal communications.
After having my clients write a letter stating they wanted a full refund and my showing the statement of 30 day Right to Right to Return clause, CUL is issuing a full refund. To sum up, I don't like companies that make up wording not stated in the policy and give me or my client the run around. I won't be doing business with CUL again after this experience.

The CUL DVH plan is a good plan, however I am not a fan of CUL or any of its affiliate companies after a recent experience.
Clients took out a CUL dental, vision, hearing plan and never received their policies in the mail even after having them resent. They wanted to cancel. I tried to conserve, understanding the mail was likely working slow in the Houston area still, but the client wanted me to use a different company (Medico) for them instead. Should be not a problem to cancel, right? I contacted CUL and was told the clients could not get a refund because it had been "more than 10 days after the premium drafted". I asked the representative about the 30 day right to review the policy and she stated, "this was a different type of policy and it didn't have that rule." I asked where that is stated and she said "in the policy but that's what I was told to tell people". I looked at the policy and it clearly states the 30 Day Right to Return clause. I later spoke with a Manager there who told me their no refund policy of more than 10 days after the draft is stated in their internal communications.
After having my clients write a letter stating they wanted a full refund and my showing the statement of 30 day Right to Right to Return clause, CUL is issuing a full refund. To sum up, I don't like companies that make up wording not stated in the policy and give me or my client the run around. I won't be doing business with CUL again after this experience.

I've had them for 2 months and never got a policy or a card. I just assumed there isn't one.
Guess I'll find out where mine is

My understanding is that there isnt a policy sent out, but rather they have access to it online. There is a card sent out. The online application is pretty easy. I took one out on myself a few months ago, I intend to use it soon to see how it works. If you're hesitant to sell the policy, I'd suggest buying one for yourself, its fairly cheap. Then go use it. I understand most of us cant buy a Medsupp do to our age. Why not buy a dental plan before you sell it, or any other product for that matter. Zig Ziglar said that if you own what you sell, you'll sell more of it.

Ive sold more than one. Thanks though

I'm confused, you first stated the following:

For the most part I agree with you (with the exception of selling someone the dental rider on an MAPD plan - I'm not a huge fan of those either). But here's my confusion, Chazm explained that this particular plan (with CUL) has no network of dentists and pays 45% commission. Point being, you are not restricted by a network of dentists (can see any dentist) and the commission at 45% means a higher payout than the $60 you indicated (I received a post card from an FMO and they state the average commission is $170).

To Chazm's comment you replied I've sold more than one, thanks though.

If you've sold more than one of CUL's DVH plan, then you should know there isn't a network and commissions are more than $60. There's my confusion. If you've sold more than one of their plans, why would you post something about networks and low commission when that isn't the case on this particular plan?

Please know, for over 20 years I have told my clients I have never found a dental plan that I felt was worth the money. I haven't sold CUL's plan. But if I were going to recommend a dental plan, the CUL plan would be the one I'd recommend over all the others I have seen. In part because they can use the pool of money for dental, vision and hearing benefits instead of having to pay extra for the other two. That isn't an endorsement of the plan, but in my opinion it is better than the one offered by the few MAPD carriers who have a separate dental plan available in my area and one of the best stand-alone dental plans I've seen. And no, that isn't saying a whole lot.

I'm confused, you first stated the following:

For the most part I agree with you (with the exception of selling someone the dental rider on an MAPD plan - I'm not a huge fan of those either). But here's my confusion, Chazm explained that this particular plan (with CUL) has no network of dentists and pays 45% commission. Point being, you are not restricted by a network of dentists (can see any dentist) and the commission at 45% means a higher payout than the $60 you indicated (I received a post card from an FMO and they state the average commission is $170).

To Chazm's comment you replied I've sold more than one, thanks though.

If you've sold more than one of CUL's DVH plan, then you should know there isn't a network and commissions are more than $60. There's my confusion. If you've sold more than one of their plans, why would you post something about networks and low commission when that isn't the case on this particular plan?

Please know, for over 20 years I have told my clients I have never found a dental plan that I felt was worth the money. I haven't sold CUL's plan. But if I were going to recommend a dental plan, the CUL plan would be the one I'd recommend over all the others I have seen. In part because they can use the pool of money for dental, vision and hearing benefits instead of having to pay extra for the other two. That isn't an endorsement of the plan, but in my opinion it is better than the one offered by the few MAPD carriers who have a separate dental plan available in my area and one of the best stand-alone dental plans I've seen. And no, that isn't saying a whole lot.

Some agents are on a front loaded commission level, perhaps 45%/4%. Others are on a level commission usually around 15%.. So on a $360 AP, the agent would make $54 per year on the level commission rate.

Back