Democrats Introduce Medicare Expansion at Age 55

Well, in the sense that it feeds us a crap load of the Baby Boomers all at once instead of the steady trickle of business, it can be good or bad.

With 10 years of people healthier than older folks (like Somarco) this can extend Medicare's solvency for a number of years.

That's on the plus side. On the negative side it's just one step closer to true single payer - Medicaid for all.

Rick

Unless U65 IFP is eliminated, either by decree or carriers bow out, Medicare (or Medicaid, which is more likely) will be just like Obummercare is now. Sick people will opt in, healthy will pass.

I believe Avik Roy said if the mandate was dropped about a fourth of those who currently have Ocare plans would drop them.

Cloward-Piven strategy in full effect. Obamacare set up to fail. Next step is more government control. And I bet there will be a few "Republicans" who will vote for it if it ever comes up for a vote.

You guys are over looking how bad Medicare compensation is for doctors and hospitals. Adding more people on Medicare is really going to push the doctors from boycotting Medicare altogether. Many parts of the country doctors are not accepting new Medicare patients because of the horrible fee schedule Medicare has.

Also adding more people onto the Medicare claim system is going to cost Medicare more money, not less. Yes many of these people will be healthier than 65 year olds, but these are extra claims that Medicare is going to have to find money to pay. Due to the insolvency of the Medicare program as a whole right now, I see very little chance that this legislation passes.

Last edited:
You guys are over looking how bad Medicare compensation is for doctors and hospitals. Adding more people on Medicare is really going to push the doctors from boycotting Medicare altogether. Many parts of the country doctors are not accepting new Medicare patients because of the horrible fee schedule Medicare has.

Also adding more people onto the Medicare claim system is going to cost Medicare more money, not less. Yes many of these people will be healthier than 65 year olds, but these are extra claims that Medicare is going to have to find money to pay. Due to the insolvency of the Medicare program as a whole right now, I see very little chance that this legislation passes.

yeah, the hospitals are really struggling with all the new hospitals being built.

What makes you think members of Congress are concerned with the negative impact of their legislation?

What is your source of information on that statement?

Back