Dental Discount Plans

timeflies

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Any agents aware of a dental plan that has some value to it? Still searching for a dental plan where the benefits exceed the premiums. One plan I'm aware of has a 12 month waiting period for major services and you pay 50% of the cost. Well if the premium is $300 over a 12-month period and you pay $500 of the $1,000 cost of a set of cheap dentures, your only going to save $200. Not very good coverage. And most people that call me agree.

Any agents aware of a dental plan that has some value to it? Still searching for a dental plan where the benefits exceed the premiums. One plan I'm aware of has a 12 month waiting period for major services and you pay 50% of the cost. Well if the premium is $300 over a 12-month period and you pay $500 of the $1,000 cost of a set of cheap dentures, your only going to save $200. Not very good coverage. And most people that call me agree.

Central United Life has a great program(not a discount plan). It has a pool of money, no network and pays on actual charges.

1) its a discount dental plan, what do you expect?

2) waiting periods are imposed for a reason. i need not explain

3) $25 a month premium - how much of that do you think actually goes to the dentist, services, insurance company and broker?

Does that plan cover free cleanings and x-rays? If it does, the cost of two cleanings plus the x-rays should come close to the annual cost of the policy.

I mainly offer a plan from Cigna. The preventive care has no cost share (deductible, copay or coinsurance) and no waiting period. The benefits paid for preventive care do not reduce the amount available for other services.

I don't spend much time talking with clients about dental. The commissions don't make it worthwhile to market this product aggressively, but if I were to start, the conversation might go something like this:

Me: How much do dental cleanings cost you?

Client: About $C. (If she didn't know I would cite an average and ask if she thought it was reasonable.)

Me: What about for the full set of x-rays?

Client: About $X.

Me: OK. So you are paying ($C * 2) + $X every year. That adds up to $Y. Is that right?

Client: Sounds about right.

Me: The annual cost of the policy we discussed is $M * 12 or $P. $P - $Y = $D. So this policy costs only $D more than what you are already spending every year.

I don't think I mentioned this, but did you know that the $1,000 maximum benefit is paid on top of whatever your preventive care costs?

Client: I didn't know that.

Me: In away you would only pay $D per year or $D/12 per month for $1,000 of coverage. It is kind of like paying $300 a month for a new car that comes with a $200 of gas each month. If you normally spend $200 for gas each month, you might as well get the new car for $100 a month.

Should I get you started or do you have other questions?

Most of you who have read a few books on sales will recognize this very old concept. Of course the script will need to be refined and personalized, but the basic structure makes sales.

However, I have a question for you. :twitchy:Is is worth it to sell dental?:no: Maybe you have a carrier that pays more, but I get $35 per person in FYC and then about $12 in renewals. I sell it if I'm asked.

But there are probably better things to do with your time than sell dental.

Does that plan cover free cleanings and x-rays? If it does, the cost of two cleanings plus the x-rays should come close to the annual cost of the policy.

I mainly offer a plan from Cigna. The preventive care has no cost share (deductible, copay or coinsurance) and no waiting period. The benefits paid for preventive care do not reduce the amount available for other services.

I don't spend much time talking with clients about dental. The commissions don't make it worthwhile to market this product aggressively, but if I were to start, the conversation might go something like this:

Me: How much do dental cleanings cost you?

Client: About . (If she didn't know I would cite an average and ask if she thought it was reasonable.)

Me: What about for the full set of x-rays?

Client: About .

Me: OK. So you are paying ( * 2) + every year. That adds up to . Is that right?

Client: Sounds about right.

Me: The annual cost of the policy we discussed is * 12 or . - = . So this policy costs only more than what you are already spending every year.

I don't think I mentioned this, but did you know that the $1,000 maximum benefit is paid on top of whatever your preventive care costs?

Client: I didn't know that.

Me: In away you would only pay per year or /12 per month for $1,000 of coverage. It is kind of like paying $300 a month for a new car that comes with a $200 of gas each month. If you normally spend $200 for gas each month, you might as well get the new car for $100 a month.

Should I get you started or do you have other questions?

Most of you who have read a few books on sales will recognize this very old concept. Of course the script will need to be refined and personalized, but the basic structure makes sales.

However, I have a question for you. :twitchy:Is is worth it to sell dental?:no: Maybe you have a carrier that pays more, but I get $35 per person in FYC and then about $12 in renewals. I sell it if I'm asked.

But there are probably better things to do with your time than sell dental.

How does $250 per person in FYC and then about $33 in renewals sound? Could be less, could be more depending on age and plan.

That sounds reasonable. Are they competitive? Who is the carrier?

What Rouse said. I never found a dental plan that I thought was worth the premium before Rouse let me know about CUL. I like their's so much I took one out on myself.:yes:

Last edited:
What Rouse said. I never found a dental plan that I thought was worth the premium before Rouse let me know about CUL. I like their's so much I took one out on myself. FYC 55%/7% renewals with no production requirements.:yes:

Are they in Florida? I can't find any info on that on their website.

Back