Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Reply to Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent?     
Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Guru

State: Cenla Agent is an Insurance Agent from Louisiana
Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent?
What's the difference, if any? If words mean things, I think there must be some difference.

I have two Mutual of Omaha contracts before me from different marketers. One has GA everywhere. The other (from one of the big FMO/NMO's or whatever that is direct to the carrier) has "Special Agent" on a couple of the pages but it has GA on some other pages.

The latter initially offered me a lower contract so I'm guessing a "Special Agent" is a level below a GA. But I'm thinking that there must have been some screw up since the paperwork has you signing some pages that have GA and others that have SA.

Regardless, I thought I'd submit this to the brain trust here to get a more definite opinion.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Guru
Todd King on Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? - Insurance Forum

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Todd King
Todd King is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? Re: Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent?
Special Agent usually means that you have assigned your commissions. You need to be careful!!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Super Genius

State: The Brokerage Resource is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? Re: Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent?
We are one the "big guys" with a direct Mutual contract and the
"Special Agent" means that your are assigning your commission to somebody else, it could be your own corp or could be the other FMO.

Make sure your clear on what your doing before you submit anything.

Any questions just ask

Sam

WWW.TBRINS.COM
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Guru

State: Cenla Agent is an Insurance Agent from Louisiana
Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? Re: Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? Cenla Agent is the thread starter for: Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent?

Originally Posted by TRK3031962 View Post
Special Agent usually means that you have assigned your commissions. You need to be careful!!
After searching further, I found a Special Agent contract for United World here. As you can see, it does indeed involve assigning commissions to the GA or MGA. Maybe SA is something in between a LOA and a GA?

I think somebody there (Precision) probably screwed up putting that page in there then, as assignment of commissions is not mentioned in the agreement and GA agreement is stated elsewhere. As far as I know, I don't think that's the way they operate anyway (assigning commissions, that is.) But I wasn't sent the whole contract either, and that's not the first time that's happened. Of course there's nothing in those of any of these contracts that states anything about the relationship with the upline and releases either.

Having read some recent threads (or hijacked ones) on this issue, I'm starting to think that the idea that you should make every effort to contract with FMOs that are as direct to the carrier as possible is somewhat overrated, although perhaps not so much for high volume producers. I don't think an agent, even one trying to start over (i.e. with little or no recent production,) should have to beg for a higher level contract that other marketing organizations have no problem giving out. Not to mention not being sent the entire contract, which has happened more than once.

Of course there are variables with regard to support, etc. I'd prefer to go through someone who at least has a person who is somewhat knowledgeable be available to answer the phone when needed, which sometimes isn't possible if you're dealing with essentially a one man operation.

Some may look askance at those who contract with mid-level agents or marketers, but I know you give the highest contracts you can and apparently Frank does as well. I have a relationship with a senior market MGA (one that predates my joining this board) that also does likewise.

There are Evil Empires. (Is there a thread listing them? That would probably involve the Fight Club at some point as some will disagree on who is evil and who is not.) And then there are incompetent ones, even if it's one marketing director or representative that reflects poorly on the organization as a whole. I'd prefer not to deal with either.

Last edited by Cenla Agent; 10-27-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   Type the result for 11 x 3 I agree to forum rules 

Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Super Genius
El Capitan on Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? - Insurance Forum

State: El Capitan is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Originally Posted by TRK3031962 View Post

Never thought about it but is a good distinction to know in the 'verbiage' of contracts.

Assigning commissions (obviously) is not a good idea.

Last edited by El Capitan; 10-28-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Guru
G.Gordon on Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? - Insurance Forum

State: G.Gordon is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
G.Gordon is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Special agent = agents that ride the short bus.

Luke comes to mind.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
Guru
jbage007 on Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? - Insurance Forum

State: jbage007 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
The only thing special about being a special agent is that you're going to get EspecialLY screwed out of your commissions, EspecialLY renewals.

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing . . . after they have tried everything else." Winston Churchill
Old 10-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Guru

State: arnguy is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
arnguy is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Special Agent=Federal Bureau of Investigation Agent
Old 10-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Guru
xrac on Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? - Insurance Forum

State: xrac is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
xrac is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by jbage007 View Post
The only thing special about being a special agent is that you're going to get EspecialLY screwed out of your commissions, EspecialLY renewals.
I think that is close to it in a nutshell.

X
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Guru
VolAgent on Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? - Insurance Forum

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by arnguy View Post
Special Agent=Federal Bureau of Investigation Agent
As I recall, all Federal Law Enforcement officers are Special Agents. The Federal Government has no General Agents.
Reply to Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum