Difference Between a General Agent and a Special Agent?

Cenla Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
What's the difference, if any? If words mean things, I think there must be some difference.

I have two Mutual of Omaha contracts before me from different marketers. One has GA everywhere. The other (from one of the big FMO/NMO's or whatever that is direct to the carrier) has "Special Agent" on a couple of the pages but it has GA on some other pages.

The latter initially offered me a lower contract so I'm guessing a "Special Agent" is a level below a GA. But I'm thinking that there must have been some screw up since the paperwork has you signing some pages that have GA and others that have SA.

Regardless, I thought I'd submit this to the brain trust here to get a more definite opinion.

We are one the "big guys" with a direct Mutual contract and the
"Special Agent" means that your are assigning your commission to somebody else, it could be your own corp or could be the other FMO.

Make sure your clear on what your doing before you submit anything.

Any questions just ask

Sam

Special Agent usually means that you have assigned your commissions. You need to be careful!!

After searching further, I found a Special Agent contract for United World here. As you can see, it does indeed involve assigning commissions to the GA or MGA. Maybe SA is something in between a LOA and a GA?

I think somebody there (Precision) probably screwed up putting that page in there then, as assignment of commissions is not mentioned in the agreement and GA agreement is stated elsewhere. As far as I know, I don't think that's the way they operate anyway (assigning commissions, that is.) But I wasn't sent the whole contract either, and that's not the first time that's happened. Of course there's nothing in those of any of these contracts that states anything about the relationship with the upline and releases either.

Having read some recent threads (or hijacked ones) on this issue, I'm starting to think that the idea that you should make every effort to contract with FMOs that are as direct to the carrier as possible is somewhat overrated, although perhaps not so much for high volume producers. I don't think an agent, even one trying to start over (i.e. with little or no recent production,) should have to beg for a higher level contract that other marketing organizations have no problem giving out. Not to mention not being sent the entire contract, which has happened more than once.

Of course there are variables with regard to support, etc. I'd prefer to go through someone who at least has a person who is somewhat knowledgeable be available to answer the phone when needed, which sometimes isn't possible if you're dealing with essentially a one man operation.

Some may look askance at those who contract with mid-level agents or marketers, but I know you give the highest contracts you can and apparently Frank does as well. I have a relationship with a senior market MGA (one that predates my joining this board) that also does likewise.

There are Evil Empires. (Is there a thread listing them? That would probably involve the Fight Club at some point as some will disagree on who is evil and who is not.) And then there are incompetent ones, even if it's one marketing director or representative that reflects poorly on the organization as a whole. I'd prefer not to deal with either.

Last edited:
Special Agent usually means that you have assigned your commissions. You need to be careful!!

Never thought about it but is a good distinction to know in the 'verbiage' of contracts.

Assigning commissions (obviously) is not a good idea.

Last edited:
The only thing special about being a special agent is that you're going to get EspecialLY screwed out of your commissions, EspecialLY renewals.

The only thing special about being a special agent is that you're going to get EspecialLY screwed out of your commissions, EspecialLY renewals.

I think that is close to it in a nutshell.

Back