Direct Mail Drops to Flood Ravaged Areas

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I live in Houston and know several agents who are interested in conducting mail drops. It doesn't seem to me that it would be an effective strategy at this time. Does anyone have any experience in mailing to over 65 population in distressed areas?

Even if they sent it, USPS has already said they are having difficulties in making deliveries in that area right now.

I live in Houston and know several agents who are interested in conducting mail drops. It doesn't seem to me that it would be an effective strategy at this time. Does anyone have any experience in mailing to over 65 population in distressed areas?

Are you kidding me?

What are they going to use to get their attention? Trash bags? Bottles of Clorox? "And don't forget, I'm here to move you to a better MAPD plan!"

No wonder people have such a low opinion of agents. "Let's take advantage of a natural disaster!"

The time and money would be better spent at the Salvation Army and Mattress Mack is collecting cleaning supplies.

Are you serious or just messing with us? If I were dealing with trying gut my house and recover lost belongings, the last thing I'd have time for is talking with an insurance agent about Medicare coverage.

Absolute waste of money in my opinion and also poor taste.

Do NOT drop that mail. I have all the leads you need for that area already waiting for you. And still more coming in.

How many would you like?

I agree that they'd be better served to focus somewhere else, IMO, unless maybe you can target certain zip codes that weren't flooded. (I haven't followed it closely enough to know whether or not that possibility even exists in that area.)

There will be people looking to switch plans even under these circumstances because they are unhappy with their current plan. Those kinds of motivated people will tend to show up at seminars if they are able to do so and will also tend to call the carriers when they see their ads.

While it wasn't the same level of devastation as Houston, we had a "500 year" flood event here one year around the time we did a mail drop. With the ones that do actually call you, (whether from the mail drop or something else) you are liable to go round and round trying to set up the appointment as they may be displaced from their home. This week turns into next week, and next week turns into "I'll just keep what I have, I'm doing ok with it." Others won't in a good frame of mind to be able to make a decision in the midst of dealing with contractors, etc. But some actually welcome the opportunity to talk about something else besides rebuilding.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get the usual pile of mail from the carriers.

Back