Direct Mail Vs. Internet Leads for Medicare

jmarkk1

Guru
100+ Post Club
If you are going to spend money on leads, how would you compare internet leads to direct mailers?

So far, I've only been using direct mail leads that are provided for me. I'm looking to start spending some money myself on leads. (keep in mind I'm in Ohio and cold calling is out of the questions...even for dental and FE)

When you factor in postage, and how many respond to mailers are they about the same? Most of the people I talk to that filled out card and sent it back in the mail have mailed out a ton of these cards and so in theory direct mail leads work like a shared internet lead..or at least this is my thought.

I also know internet leads can really stink, but is the cost lower per lead?

If you are going to spend money on leads, how would you compare internet leads to direct mailers?

So far, I've only been using direct mail leads that are provided for me. I'm looking to start spending some money myself on leads. (keep in mind I'm in Ohio and cold calling is out of the questions...even for dental and FE)

When you factor in postage, and how many respond to mailers are they about the same? Most of the people I talk to that filled out card and sent it back in the mail have mailed out a ton of these cards and so in theory direct mail leads work like a shared internet lead..or at least this is my thought.

I have done both and unless it is AEP, I would not even bother buying internet leads. $20 to $30 with most these companies is a ripoff. They aren't typically any good all year long, but if you are quick to call folks back and know your available options, you can do well with internet leads. During AEP, I made a great ROI, but every lead that I received was called as soon as it hit my phone.

I do agree that the direct mail can often be like shared leads, but I am sure they send in far less cards over time than the amount of times these lead companies sell their leads.

What you really should look at is cost per sale/application, and your ROI.

In Ohio, do carriers offer plans for under 65 medicare/disability?

A significant amount of medicare web leads are u65 on disability, so make sure u can sell them an MA plan or Med Supp.

And if your going to do internet leads, I would advise sending out a postcard via a service like sentoutcards, to keep ur info in front of the prospect.

I wouldn't spend the money if I were you. You are a captive agent. Not AOR on any of the policies you sell. Part of the reason you are giving up so much of your commissions is for your agency to provide you with leads. Wait until after you go indy to spend your hard earned money on leads.

What makes you think you can't cold-call for Dental or FE? Yes, I'm in OH and aware of the new rules...

According to what I've seen the rule is about contacting anyone eligible for Medicare. It doesn't appear to be specific to a product but rather who you are allowed to call. Under age 65 it's open game, but marketing FE and dental to Medicare eligibile individuals appears to be a no-no with the state.

Again, this is what I've been told.

According to what I've seen the rule is about contacting anyone eligible for Medicare. It doesn't appear to be specific to a product but rather who you are allowed to call. Under age 65 it's open game, but marketing FE and dental to Medicare eligibile individuals appears to be a no-no with the state.

Again, this is what I've been told.

While I'm personally OK if every agent believes this as it could work to my advantage - it's simply wrong.

The law regulates how Med Supps are sold to Medicare Eligible individuals. Period.

While I'm personally OK if every agent believes this as it could work to my advantage - it's simply wrong.

The law regulates how Med Supps are sold to Medicare Eligible individuals. Period.

So basically in Ohio they don't want seniors to have Med Supps? Where in the hell were the the folks lobbying on behalf of the insurance companies when all this went down?

I think the post office was behind it. The only "main" ways to contact someone for Med Supps is through direct mail, web leads, or seminars.

Back