Disabled

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
Do folks that become eligible for Medicare due to disability have Open Enrollment for Medigap Policies?

Seems like from what I am reading, no they don't.

This person is getting divorced and losing health coverage as well.

In GA someone on SSDI has 6 months from the time their Part B was effective to sign up for a Medigap plan. The real challenge is, can they afford it?

Forgot to mention TN resident.......

Unless it has changed, they have an open enrollment period on becoming Medicare eligible. As I recall, carriers have to offer Plans A and F to under 65. The rates are generally sky high and the commission non-existent. Unless they just have to be in a Med Supp, they are probably better off in a MAPD.

Kirby, that's the same as GA except they have access to all plans including Hi F.

Most carriers pay $0 - $25. Exceptions are Aetna, Blue and Humana that pay half commission.

Rates are in the $1000/mo range except for Hi F which is in the $200 range.

Looks like in TN they are eligible. AARP K looks $130+\- and N $257. I don't think she can afford it. But she asked, I answered.

I actually have a case very similar that will be enrolling in MAPD next week, the premiums on med supp for disabled under 65 is unaffordable. If the client is open to it I would defiantly have the take a look at the MAPD plans.

Back