Discussing an RX Plan and Staying CMS Compliant

quackattack99

Guru
100+ Post Club
When speaking with a med supp client, what is the best way to bring up an RX plan, and stay CMS compliant? I don't want to violate CMS, but I think I am short changing the senior if I don't at least explain Part D. I know CMS is there to protect the senior, but a lot of these people don't understand all that is available to them, and I feel like I have an obligation to inform. It isn't about extra commission to me, it 's about doing the job right.

Re: Discussing.an RX Plan and Staying CMS Compliant

I would remind the senior that, "Medicare supplements do not cover prescription drug".
See where that leads.

When speaking with a med supp client, what is the best way to bring up an RX plan, and stay CMS compliant? I don't want to violate CMS, but I think I am short changing the senior if I don't at least explain Part D. I know CMS is there to protect the senior, but a lot of these people don't understand all that is available to them, and I feel like I have an obligation to inform. It isn't about extra commission to me, it 's about doing the job right.

Where a big button on your lapel that says " Got D? "No just kidding.

They way I understand it is that anything that could be considered a systematic way of broaching the subject of PDP or MA to a cold called Med Supp prospect, to skirt the CMS marketing rules i.e. telemarketing, signed scopes etc is considered a violation.

It's almost a given a person T65 will expect to learn about part D when meeting with a Medicare health plan agent and CMS knows this so the only way to be completely safe from the wrath of CMS is to let the prospect know ahead of time you won't be talking about D or C or follow all the MIPPA marketing guidelines and present all the Medicare health plans.

When I am talking to them, they always bring it up. Some have already run the numbers and tell me they are set with that.

Ask them if they have ever heard of prescription assistance programs, and were they aware they could get their medications for free???

Gets the conversation started every time and is compliant.

The way I stay compliant is never walking into a house without a signed Scope. I don't find that to be the huge hassle it's often described as. And it makes the appointment a more solid one; they're always home at the scheduled time.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Ask them if they have ever heard of prescription assistance programs, and were they aware they could get their medications for free???

Gets the conversation started every time and is compliant.

Getting the conversation started about prescription coverage is never the issue. I find that seasoned citizens especially the T65 crowd want to talk about the Rx cost more than medical because of the anxiety they have about that donut hole that their group insurance didn't have.

Using medigap to get in to a consumer home to also possibly sell part D and C is a big no no and specifically adressed in the CMS marketing guidelines.

chapter 3 30.5

If during the course of an outbound call regarding Medigap products, the beneficiary initiates
interest in an MA, MA
-
PD, cost plan, or PDP product offered by the Medigap issuer, then that
MA, MA
-
PD, cost plan, or PDP product may be discussed, a
s long as the call is recorded. (Refer
to §

70.4 on unsolicited contact.)

Prohibited telephonic activities include, but are not limited to, the following:

Making

unsolicited outbound calls to beneficiaries
about other business as a means of
generating leads for Medicare plans

(
Examples of
other lines of business

include, but are
not limited to: a discount prescription drug card, a
Medigap
plan, a needs assessment,
an
educational event
or

a review of Medicare coverage options, or any other service or
product that is not
an
MA

plan

or PDP.)

About 3or4-years ago we decided to never be the agent on any part D plans. Life has been great ever since. You can help them select a plan, call te plan's toll free number and enroll directly. Then you can sell the med sup and anything else they want. No more CMS. No worries.

The little dab of commission you make on part D is not worth the garbage of working for the guberment.

Thanks for all the replies! I like Newby's approach the best:)

About 3or4-years ago we decided to never be the agent on any part D plans. Life has been great ever since. You can help them select a plan, call te plan's toll free number and enroll directly. Then you can sell the med sup and anything else they want. No more CMS. No worries.

The little dab of commission you make on part D is not worth the garbage of working for the guberment.

My concern might be that you are helping them select a plan. While you may not be the writing agent, you are advising them.

Rick

Back