Do you roll your MA's over year to year?

yeager

Expert
My question is this. Each year do you get the best MA plan available and roll your own people each and every year? We have about 750 MA's on the book and have never done this. At the time, in our opinion, they had the best MA plan in our area. Now, that is not the case. Would you roll these people over into a better plan? I am thinking that we do need to do this. These are all PFFS's. Then when and if they do away with these, we then convert them to the HMO/PPO or a supp at GI.

Some people may look down on this but if it is what is best for your people why should you not do this?

You are OBLIGATED to keep your clients informed so they can get the most for the least. The whole idea of having a book of business is to work it. Start inviting them to coffee and cookie presentations about changes. It is reccommended that seniors review their plans once a year. That's the gospel according to Moses.

I look for the right plan for each individual. If their current plan's benefits have changed dramatically, I definitely switch them, if not- keep them where they are. In my market, plans have been changing drastically and I have to switch them around. If your clients have your trust, it should be easy. Always keep their best interest in mind.
Be aware that a lot of companies are watching the "serial rollers" and may rescind your certification. Others are trying to sweeten the pot and give bonuses for retention. Read the fine print this year as you go through the recert process.
Good Luck!

As another agent posted, you have an obligation to help your clients find the right plan. If you don't want to potentially roll them, send me your client and list and I'll be happy to help them find the right plan.

Medicare tells beneficiaries to review their plans on an annual basis. You are simply following what the government wants you to do.

In my case, I roll clients to find a better plan or (in the case of PFFS) doctors don't want to see them. I had the latter with a large medical group regarding Pyramid that can't seem to pay a claim if you showed them how.

Since all these people are on PFFS, you best be certain that their providers will accept a new plan.

Rick

I don't have a problem with this. And we do review our clients every year or so. But rolling over your own business is frowned upon by many. I believe this is one reason levelized commission is coming if not this year, too late to impliment, then next.

I think every year would be a little much. But after 2 or 3 years the plan has changed drastic enough to help your people.

It all depends. 5 years ago Humana had the best benefits. Last year Coventry had the best benefits in most counties.

So, I have rolled biz, but only after showing the 2 plans side by side and letting the client decide.

Now, last year we got AARP MA (HMO). Crappy plan but they had the AARP name.

This coming AEP, we will just have to wait and see...but I will do what is best for the client.

Like everyone else has pretty much already said, you need to make sure they are in the best plan for each of them. I was a captive agent for Humana and their plans went from being on of the top 2 down to almost the basement of the plans in this area.

95% of my clients I talked to last year switched to Todays Options and Wellcare. I just got Wellcares plan for 09 and now I am wondering how the others will change. IMO Todays Options for 09 is the better plan. The fact that TO's plan has the $2500 OOP max that includes even cancer drugs has me leaning toward them so far. I have only seen the Atena, Wellcare and TO plans so far. Humana I have "heard" will not have a $0 premum this year, UHC or AARP has never looked good but you never know, Cigna may be coming to this area and Coventry I've heard may be staying about the same, which was just alright this year.

Sorry for going on..

But the one thing you need to realize is that switching them is only bad if you are doing it for the commission. If you are getting them better benefits you are doing the right thing for your clients!

Todays Options is the plan all my clients are with but with premiums going up again, in 2 years has gone up 35/mo. The OOP is great at 2500. I only know of the TO's for 09. I haven't seen any other outlines as of yet. We would never roll them for commission. Or even if another company was just a notch better. There would have to be a bug difference in the two plans for us to roll them. I do know several agents though that do this every year. I don't think I believe in that. But after 2 years, I feel it is time to look. They will keep it for 2 more years. Then may have to get out and go to a MA HMO/PPO or GI Med Supp when PFFS are cancelled.

Todays Options is the plan all my clients are with but with premiums going up again, in 2 years has gone up 35/mo. The OOP is great at 2500. I only know of the TO's for 09. I haven't seen any other outlines as of yet. We would never roll them for commission. Or even if another company was just a notch better. There would have to be a bug difference in the two plans for us to roll them. I do know several agents though that do this every year. I don't think I believe in that. But after 2 years, I feel it is time to look. They will keep it for 2 more years. Then may have to get out and go to a MA HMO/PPO or GI Med Supp when PFFS are cancelled.

Are TO's premiums going up again for '09? The last outline I saw, the premiums were staying the same, but, the benefits were decreased. For example, the hopital co pay on the Premier went from $195 to $350.

Of course, when I saw it, it wasn't the final deal. I haven't seen the final yet.

Back