Does "C-pap" Count As Oxygen Use?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
On many of the FE carriers, use of oxygen is a knockout question. when I think of really unhealthy ppl, I think of the ones that carry oxygen with them everywhere they go. Does a person who only uses C-pap at night (not during the day) count among this knocked-out group?

I've done some googling on "c-pap". It doesn't seem to be an oxygen machine, rather a sort of filtering machine that uses "bedroom air" to keep the airway open when the person is sleeping. I'll call an underwriter tomorrow just to make sure.

Last edited:
I think you're trying to make a cpap machine into something it's not. While not compressed air, it compresses air and pushes into the person.

Sleep apnea leads to so many other illnesses that I would imagine it will be a tough sale. But certainly ask. the problem is 50% of the people who are supposed to use a cpap machine quite before a year is up.

On many of the FE carriers, use of oxygen is a knockout question. when I think of really unhealthy ppl, I think of the ones that carry oxygen with them everywhere they go. Does a person who only uses C-pap at night (not during the day) count among this knocked-out group?

I've done some googling on "c-pap". It doesn't seem to be an oxygen machine, rather a sort of filtering machine that uses "bedroom air" to keep the airway open when the person is sleeping. I'll call an underwriter tomorrow just to make sure.

that condition by itself has never been a problem for me when trying to get a medsupp issued. I cannot speak for final expense, as that's money I usually leave on the table. Well, at least i am admitting it. Not proud of it but i'm gonna keep trying to sell those suckers too.

anyway, med supp should not be a problem unless there are other conditions to consider.

tommy

Not all Cpap machines require the use of oxygen. Some just provide fresh air from what I understand. You should ask if the Cpap uses oxygen or not.

Cpap does not equal oxygen use as referred to on the applications. Cpap does not treat a pulmonary problem.

Not true at all... Although most CPAP patients do not require O2 because it is used for sleep apnea, and the use of the device creates enough positive pressure in the lungs to allow more O2 in, CPAP is also used on people with Congestive Heart Failure which is a pulmonary issue.

In congestive heart failure, something is causing part of the heart, usually the left ventricle(pumps the blood throughtout the body), to not pump blood the way it should and this blood that is not pumped through the body properly backs up into the lungs.This is why MOST CHF patients are more comfortable sitting up, because if they lay down, lots of blood from the body backs up into the lungs. If they are sitting up, it will flow into the legs not the lungs as much.You can tell when this is happening because you can push in on the tissue of the legs and the indention will not return to normal, because of the fluid(blood) in the legs. This is more of a pulmonary issue than it is a heart issue.

So YES, CPAP is used to treat pulmonary problems, mostly in a pre-hospital setting like in an emergency by a trained EMT. I can also be used to treat SOME patients with COPD, usually in an emergency setting. Just thought I would clarify.

Last edited:
Sleep apnea leads to so many other illnesses that I would imagine it will be a tough sale.

Please don't play the role of an underwriter on here when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You're not adding anything to the discussion.

A standard CPAP is not a problem with any carrier, FE or Med Supp.
Some CPAPS have an oxygen tank that also feeds into the unit. That is a different story.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cpap does not equal oxygen use as referred to on the applications. Cpap does not treat a pulmonary problem.

This is true in most cases.

Last edited:
Back