DOI Investigation

I won't hammer you, but do you have it in writing? Because I can only go by what I've been told by multiple Humana reps (including the market manager here in Atlanta). And since I don't have it in writing from Humana, there is no way I'm risking it. Thankfully Aetna/Coventry has added one of the major hospitals here to their network and will now give Humana some serious competition.

I had the same question for UHC regarding mailing apps and sent their compliance department an email asking specifically about it. I received a response that said, while not ideal, they will allow it if you still go through a compliant presentation (review). So now I will do that when warranted. Most every other carrier I deal with will allow it (WellCare is one that comes to mind who doesn't allow it).

If you're enrolling people in Humana via mail, more power to you. But I'm not sure "my home office regional manager said I could" is the best defense.

Update...

I called Humana yesterday. The lady I spoke with (very rude, by the way) said they changed wording on this from "required f2f" to "preferred f2f."

As soon as I *hinted* that this was a great chang I got a lecture on how only an uncaring and/or non-thorough agent would not want to do f2f.

She told me how confused they will be if I don't sit down with them to go through the SOB.

I politely informed her that....even when I or any agent goes through the SOB...many are STILL confused!!

When I said that...she almost hung up on me. Guess I wasn't falling in line like a good soldier or something...

Silly Humana...

Update...

I called Humana yesterday. The lady I spoke with (very rude, by the way) said they changed wording on this from "required f2f" to "preferred f2f."

As soon as I *hinted* that this was a great chang I got a lecture on how only an uncaring and/or non-thorough agent would not want to do f2f.

She told me how confused they will be if I don't sit down with them to go through the SOB.

I politely informed her that....even when I or any agent goes through the SOB...many are STILL confused!!

When I said that...she almost hung up on me. Guess I wasn't falling in line like a good soldier or something...

Silly Humana...

Nothing like being chastised by someone who's never done what we do. Was this just a person in agent services or someone with some authority? I'm going to shoot my market manager another email to see what he says. I want something in writing. Maybe I should email Humana compliance like I did UHC.

Nothing like being chastised by someone who's never done what we do. Was this just a person in agent services or someone with some authority? I'm going to shoot my market manager another email to see what he says. I want something in writing. Maybe I should email Humana compliance like I did UHC.

It was just a person in agent services. Let us know what he says... originally I was sure that we had to do f2f. But I'll be glad if I was wrong...

Here you go. I asked if there were any changes to Humana's stance on agents being allowed to mail enrollment kits to the beneficiary and still get paid. Below is the reply I received from the market manager:

Hey Scott, no changes. Humana expects their Agents to sell face-to-face with the member. The only exception is for call center agents and they have very defined scripts to follow per CMS guidance. Have a good weekend!

Until I receive some notification in writing from someone above him that states otherwise, I won't be mailing Humana apps like some have said they do.

Here you go. I asked if there were any changes to Humana's stance on agents being allowed to mail enrollment kits to the beneficiary and still get paid. Below is the reply I received from the market manager:

Hey Scott, no changes. Humana expects their Agents to sell face-to-face with the member. The only exception is for call center agents and they have very defined scripts to follow per CMS guidance. Have a good weekend!

Until I receive some notification in writing from someone above him that states otherwise, I won't be mailing Humana apps like some have said they do.

That is the answer I have always heard as well, and no indication of a change.

ruling came back 'Inconclusive'

but I still had to do an enormous amount of wasteful time for additional training with all my MAPD carriers.

So they went through the motions, made you get addition training and closed the file. Typical government work. They earned a pay check doing nothing that amounted to anything other than waste time and resources.

Latest posts

Back