DOI Investigation

You just started sending out BRC's correct? It's probably that. I was just at a house last week and I was looking at a clients cards that she was sent. One didn't have, not endorsed by the govt. an agent may contact you.
We had this issue a couple years ago and had to correct it. That's my guess.

got a letter from FL DOI saying that I am being investigated yesterday. Called them this morning, and have an appt set up for next week. When I asked what it was in reference to she said "Without going into specifics over the phone, it has to do with your marketing practices. You do Medicare right?" I said "yes" and tried to dig a little further.
She mentioned call logs and if I had any notes from phone calls. I do not really keep any notes or logs (except for little notes on my google calender so I know who to call back). I am thinking it may be a DNC allegation or maybe someone who thought I was marketing MAPD over the phone?

If it is a DNC violation or MAPD mis-marketing how serious of a violation are we looking at? This would be my first DOI violation/allegation, am I looking at a slap on the wrist, or a major fine? I already asked her if I am looking at losing my license, and she said "I would strongly doubt that you would lose your license."

I have had a few unfounded complaints against me for MAPD plans since 2006 but they all came directly from the carrier after the consumer either called CMS or the carrier directly.I was under the impression that you would have heard from the carrier first before you would ever hear from the DOI if it involves MA or PDP products?

However if you cold calls for med supps and the consumer who filed the complaint can't specifically name a MA carrier by name but is just making an accusation that you where trying to directly or indirectly market MA products on a med supp cold call then I guess a complaint would go directly through the DOI first.I don't cold call for med supps at all but if I was in your situation I would bring documentation of how many med supp sales you made in ratio to MA sales and documentation on how you made initial contact with all your MA sales say maybe within the last 2 years.I wouldn't show it unless it's needed to absolve you or help your case. I would also consider printing out your call log of IB and OB calls to have with me just in case it helps to refer to it.If the call log shows IB calls first for the the vast majority of MA clients then that should quell any accusation of systematic MA bait and switch marketing.I don't think the DOI handles DNC issues but just in case they do the call log could help you with that to.

If they were investigating Medicare Advantage marketing tactics, wouldn't CMS be the entity that contacts him rather than the DOI?

Latest posts

Back