Doing Medicaid Spend Down?

Some fokes qualify for full Medi-cal. Others, because of income, qualify for "Share of cost". This is what they pay out of pocket each month before Medi-cal pays. I had a man in last week. His share of cost was going up to $400/month. By selling him an " insurance product", (dental plan $78/month), that let him retain full Medi-cal. We are legally "playing the game" to benefit the Medi-cal beneficiary.

Oh cool haven't heard of anyone doing that in FL yet. I typically just put them on a D-SNP.

Some fokes qualify for full Medi-cal. Others, because of income, qualify for "Share of cost". This is what they pay out of pocket each month before Medi-cal pays. I had a man in last week. His share of cost was going up to $400/month. By selling him an " insurance product", (dental plan $78/month), that let him retain full Medi-cal. We are legally "playing the game" to benefit the Medi-cal beneficiary.

I do not understand this strategy at all. How does writing him an 'insurance product' do away with the spend-down? Is that a California thing or am I just not aware of something?

I do not understand this strategy at all. How does writing him an 'insurance product' do away with the spend-down? Is that a California thing or am I just not aware of something?

I only write med supps within 25 miles of my office in N. Calif. Not sure how this "spend down" is handled in the other 57 states.

Ok, so when you write an 'insurance product within 25 miles of your office in northern Cali it somehow does away with the spend-down amount?

Why in the heck would you put someone with a spend down on a D-SNP? Are you serious?

Not sure if I'm understanding the spend down correctly. I'm thinking its Share of Cost. If it is, then the better question is why wouldn't I put them on a DSNP? They go from having to meet a SOC to having zero copays and deductibles

Yes, the "insurance product" tips the scale. Monthly "share of cost" vanishes ---------- No SNP's in my area

I wasn't saying you should of done a SNP. I was asked why would I put someone on a DSNP. I explained why.

Yes, the "insurance product" tips the scale. Monthly "share of cost" vanishes

----------

No SNP's in my area

Yes!!! That makes a lot of sense. I had an Altadena, Calif mb call me recently who had to get a dental plan that costs at least $121 to get an in-home provider. This trick might be limited to Calif. I've never heard the term "share of cost" in Texas.

Back