Don't Call Us, We'll Call You

Russ

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I've been getting lists since earlier this year of those soon-to-be 65, within a 20-40 mile radius of my office and calling them to see if they are in the market for med-supps and PDP's. The names are checked to verify their not on the "do-not-call" lists.

I've been consistently writing Medicare supplements and PDP plans off of the lists. Some of those I've written almost act like they've been waiting for me to call them. I then make the appointment and go write them. Ninety-nine percent of those I've called have been respectful to me. Only a couple of jerks so far. Plus I've gotten several referrals I've written.

I've called some that told me to send them my business card or some literature...they weren't ready to buy now and they would get back with me within a few weeks(I call about 4 months before their Medicare starts), which leads me to the title of this thread.....

People NEVER call back. Of all of the one's I've written that required a followup, I've had to call them back...make the appointment and write them. They'll tell me they were meaning to call, etc., but...you know the rest of the story.

I've been doing this about 4 months now, with great success. It just surprises me that people NEVER call back. Not that I mind calling them back. It's my job and how I make a living. It's just surprising that they don't ever call back.

To any of you out there looking for a good market to work, the T65 market is great. I love telemarketing...have been for years. Maybe it's my voice some people like. I use to discjockey years ago(1970's and early 80's). It sure beats knocking doors.

snip...It sure beats knocking doors.

Sometimes maybe. I've found that there is a large segment of the supp population that will not talk to you on the phone nor return mail pieces. Some I've found that have been on the same supplement for 5, 6, 10 or more years because they never respond to marketing. Those clients, once mine, are basically mine forever.

I can tell from setting the appt if I have a sale or not, but what they are paying, what company they have, what they need, etc. Assuming they qualify of course, because I don't get into medical questions on the phone... too many issues to cover in the phone call.

I like pop-ins though, but prefer to do it while in the vicinity.

Way to go Russ! You've got it going... I've always believed that if you believe in what you're doing and just go out and do it -- activity breeds success!

No wounder you've posted less on this site.

I can tell from setting the appt if I have a sale or not, but what they are paying, what company they have, what they need, etc. Assuming they qualify of course, because I don't get into medical questions on the phone... too many issues to cover in the phone call.

I like pop-ins though, but prefer to do it while in the vicinity.

Nice thing about the T65's, no health questions....no waiting period....no nothing. Write down their name, address, Medicare #, mode of payment, sign in a few places.....done. And it's people that are looking for insurance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Way to go Russ! You've got it going... I've always believed that if you believe in what you're doing and just go out and do it -- activity breeds success!

No wounder you've posted less on this site.

If it weren't for Tricare all over this area, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the number that could be written.

Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just saw a husband wife who are perfect candidates for a med supp company switch and the wife was all for it and the husband wants to make a few calls. said he would call me before the weekend....i think ill be calling him on friday and writing them on saturday. ;)

i just saw a husband wife who are perfect candidates for a med supp company switch and the wife was all for it and the husband wants to make a few calls. said he would call me before the weekend....i think ill be calling him on friday and writing them on saturday. ;)

Funny....I've got a man that said he would call me tomorrow...reference to me getting with him and his wife on getting them off of their $300 a month per person group MAPD plans and getting back on Medicare and a supplement + PDP for a hundred dollars a month less, per person. Plus it eliminates co-pays and a network of providers.

I have my doubts that he'll call. Not sure how long I'll wait before I call him back. I thought about this case today...that if he didn't call tomorrow, I would use the excuse...I've been out of the office all day and didn't know if he had tried to call me earlier.

I'll post on here after a conclusion.

I always leave a conversation with me calling them back. If they say they will call me next week, I will say, do you mind if I give you a call on Wednesday to check in to see what you've decided. I have NEVER had anyone tell me that they would rather call me than me call them.

Funny....I've got a man that said he would call me tomorrow...reference to me getting with him and his wife on getting them off of their $300 a month per person group MAPD plans and getting back on Medicare and a supplement + PDP for a hundred dollars a month less, per person. Plus it eliminates co-pays and a network of providers.

I have my doubts that he'll call. Not sure how long I'll wait before I call him back. I thought about this case today...that if he didn't call tomorrow, I would use the excuse...I've been out of the office all day and didn't know if he had tried to call me earlier.

I'll post on here after a conclusion.

You have to listen to others here but you have to listen to yourself and your own experience too. Read your first post. You have already established that in your own experience people never call back. So what are you looking for here with this guy, a chance to see if he is the oddball? Listen to yourself, even if your wife doesnt :)

Also, I would skip the lame stuff about being out of the office. I would just call him ultra-confident and ultra-straightforward and say we spoke a while back about your options for a medicare supplement . Just wanted to catch up with you for a minute to see if you had questions along the way? If they are a ding-dong, they will say something to confirm that they are a ding-dong. Otherwise they will say something that you can build upon.

Some people will call back on their own particularly if some critical event is getting closer, such as leaving their job or actually turning 65 but I seldom get to find out whether they would have called on their own because I have already captured that info and followed up with phone calls as we get closer. Occasionally someone will fall off of my radar screen and they will call. Just happened yesterday. A guy moved and had his old number disconnected and I just went into a hole and couldn't find him for about a six weeks but I had spoken with him several times before he moved. Now he is calling and saying that his MA is ending and I have appointments with he and his wife tomorrow. So people calling back does happen but I woulnd wait for it.

Last edited:
You have to listen to others here but you have to listen to yourself and your own experience too. Read your first post. You have already established that in your own experience people never call back. So what are you looking for here with this guy, a chance to see if he is the oddball? Listen to yourself, even if you wife doesnt :)

Also, I would skip the lame stuff about being out of the office. I would just call him ultra-confident and ultra-straightforward and say we spoke a while back about your options for a medicare supplement . Just wanted to catch up with you for a minute to see if you had questions along the way? If they are ding-dong, they will say something to confirm that they are a ding-dong. Otherwise they will say something that you can build upon.

Having said that, you are doing fine.

I originally talked to him before Thanksgiving. He seemed definitely interested in saving money, better coverage, etc. Told me to call him back after T-giving. They were busy...family in town.

I called Monday morning. He said..."I'm all for saving money." Then...came up with a puzzling concern..."if I get out of this plan, can I get back in?" I told him, I'm sure you can at the next OE period.

In my mind I'm thinking, why would you want to get back in? Also thought...he's concerned he may be screwing up by switching. He doesn't trust me....yet.

He and his wife were a referral that I got from another husband and wife that I wrote med-supps and PDP's on. They also referred me to another couple that I called...with no answer. Then I wrote them a letter. He called. I wrote both of them med-supps and PDP's.

Oh yeah...my wife doesn't listen to me....:D

Last edited:
Back