Dumb Question for Over 65

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
But sorry. I don't deal with post-65 products (yet!).

My parents just moved from Harrisburg (Pa) to Tucson. That's in Arizona. They both have Capital Blue Cross Medicare Supplements.

I assume they have to change. Is it best to stay with Blue Cross in Arizona? Also...they do have some medical isuues so is it a guarantee-issue with the new company?

And I assume the new company will tell them which RX locations they can use.

Thanks

Chumps

Re: Dumb Question...

Hi Chumps,
Are you sure its a Medicare Supplement? If it is they shouldn't have to change, check with customer service.
If it is a Medicare Advantage Plan then they will most likely have to change because they left the service area.
If the drugcard is attached to the plan that would be a good idea that it is a Medicare Advantage Plan. Then yes, they could get a new one locally as a SEP (special enrollment period) and no underwriting is necessary. Same goes for the Part D (drug card) if they have a Medicare supplement. I am sure there are state to state rules but this is the norm.
: )

Re: Dumb Question...

Chumps,
You need to find an agent familiar with med supps in Arizona.
What Part D cards do your parents have?

They do not have to change if its a med supp. But they probably could do better, if they can qualify for another med supp because Cap BC rates are generally not competitive, at least not here in PA. They probably have a stand along Part D and this they NEED to change because they are regional plans. They have 60 days from the time of their move to choose a new Part D plan.

Blue Cross in Arizona quoted $220 per month (each) but I forget which plan. It was the "Standard" plan because of their ages and health. They are 91 and 82. BC in Arizona does not handle the Part D so somebody said to go to WalGreens and they will set up the Part D for them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OK...Here are her RX options (My Dad can get VA RX so not needed). Is there a best option here?

Below are several stand alone Prescription Drug Plans. Certain prescription drugs will have quantity limits and/or prior authorization may be required. The Plans listed below are available effective 01/01/11.

Prescription Drug Plans....CIGNA has two Plans available:
Medicare Rx Plan One - S5617-138
Monthly Plan Premium - $48.00
Deductible - $310.00. No gap coverage.
Diovan - Tier 2 - $30 co-pay 30 day; $75 co-pay 90 day mail order
Metroprolol - Tier 1 - $3 co-pay 30 day; $7.50 co-pay 90 day mail order
Crestor - Tier 2 - $30 co-pay 30 day; $75 co-pay 90 day mail order

Medicare Rx Plan Two - S5617-198
Monthly Plan Premium - $63.40
Deductible - $0.00. Few Generics gap coverage.
Diovan - Tier 3 - $36 co-pay 30 day; $90 co-pay 90 day mail order
Metroprolol - Tier 2 - $3 co-pay 30 day; $7.50 co-pay 90 day mail order
Crestor - Tier 3 - $36 co-pay 30 day; $90 co-pay 90 day mail order

-----------------------------------------
Prescription Drug Plans....Humana has two Plans available:
Humana WalMart-Preferred Rx Plan - S5884-146
Monthly Plan Premium - $14.80
Deductible - $310.00. No gap coverage.
Diovan - Tier 3 - 20% co-pay 30 day; 20% co-pay 90 day mail order
Metroprolol - Tier 1 - $2 co-pay 30 day; $0 co-pay 90 day mail order
Crestor - Tier 3 - 20% co-pay 30 day; 20% co-pay 90 day mail order

Humana Enhanced Plan - S5884-086
Monthly Plan Premium - $32.90
Deductible - $0.00. No gap coverage.
Diovan - Tier 2 - $39 co-pay 30 day; $107 co-pay 90 day mail order
Metroprolol - Tier 1 - $7 co-pay 30 day; $0 co-pay 90 day mail order
Crestor - Tier 2 - $39 co-pay 30 day; $107 co-pay 90 day mail order

-----------------------------------------------
Prescription Drug Plans....United HealthCare-AARP has two Plans available:
AARP MedicareRx Preferred Plan - S5820-027
Monthly Plan Premium - $28.60
Deductible - $0.00 No gap coverage.
Diovan - Tier 2 - $45 co-pay 30 day; $120 co-pay 90 day mail order
Metroprolol - Tier 1 - $7 co-pay 30 day; $8 co-pay 90 day mail order
Crestor - Tier 2 - $45 co-pay 30 day; $120 co-pay 90 day mail order

AARP MedicareRx Enhanced Plan - S5921-233
Monthly Plan Premium - $92.50
Deductible - $0.00 Some Generics gap coverage.
Diovan - Tier 2 - $40 co-pay 30 day; $105 co-pay 90 day mail order
Metroprolol - Tier 1 - $4.50 co-pay 30 day; $9 co-pay 90 day mail order
Crestor - Tier 2 - $40 co-pay 30 day; $105 co-pay 90 day mail order

Benefits and co-payments are subject to change on the Medicare Prescription Drug Plans.

Last edited:
Best Part D plan for your mom, per Medicare, is CCRX Basic for $27.90 premium. Deductible is $310, Crestor $2, Metoprolol $2, Diovan $23.18. Retail only as this plan does not have mail order option. They may be able to get 90 day supplies at the pharmacy. Copays are after the deductible is met which will happen mid-Feb. No gap coverage but she will not reach it. Get all these details at medicare.gov.

Ritter website shows Med Supp Plan C available for $140/mo for your mom and $174/mo for your dad from Family Life (B+ AM Best) These would be medically underwritten. I would try to get advice from an Arizona agent on the supps. Part D is a no brainer and you can enroll them online.

When can I go visit them? It's low 20s in York!

Bill

They love visitors so feel free to stop by next time you're there. Actually, both were born in New York. My Mom was raised in Yonkers and I know growing up we made many trips to the Catskills and Flushing, where the Mets would regularly lose.

Thanks for the info. I will certainly pass it along.

Back