Dumbest Line from Carrier Ever

Several years ago, here in the greater metro Atlanta area, there was a male nurse performing prostate checks on male life insurance applicants as part of the basic paramed exam. This is why I've always told my applicants what a basic paramed consists of.

I guess he just couldn't keep his fingers out of it!

When I filled out the application I told my applicant that I was skipping that question unless she indeed has a prostate. She confirmed she did not.

I spoke with the Regional VP who told me I'm the 1st person to ever bring it up and it was a stupid question. He blamed it on the filing that the DOI required certain questions. I pointed out Aetna had no obligation to ask anything. They could ask "can you fog a mirror" and issue a policy if there is a yes answer.

Other carriers lump psa and pap into one question and many don't ask at all. The "have you had an irregular lab test in past XXX years" should cover all the bases.

Rick

I submitted a med supp app to Continental recently. They have been holding it up for weeks because I failed to answer one question. (In their defense they did send an email to me at an address I changed years ago).

The question for my FEMALE applicant was "have you had an abnormal PSA test" and then it went on to specify what an abnormal reading was.

Since there was no "NA" box to check I left it blank. It's been held up because all questions must be answered.

I finally reached an underwriting manager Tracy Allen who disagreed that this was a stupid question for a woman because "There may be circumstances where a woman would have a prostate."

The stupidity is just amazing. She didn't have an answer when I asked how I would respond to "are you pregnant" question.

I have a call into the regional vice present about all this. Let's see if he calls.

Rick

Rick are you mad about the question you failed to answer or the fact notice went to a nonexistent email address.... I wish I could say this is even close to the stupidest things carriers have done.

Rick are you mad about the question you failed to answer or the fact notice went to a nonexistent email address.... I wish I could say this is even close to the stupidest things carriers have done.

I purposely didn't answer it because it was NA. That was my fault for not answering a stupid question that of course didn't apply.

It was their fault for not updating my email address. I was contracted and termed years ago. I recontracted with the correct email but they never changed their system.

The dumbest line was from the underwriting manager. The stupidest question was the one on the application.

Rick

----------

Mountain.... mole hill.

Yet important enough for you to respond 3 times.

Rick

If you had used the e-app it never could have been submitted. Must answer all questions for the app to advance to the next page.

Back