East Texas Products

CSanchez

Expert
I'm looking for products to sell in the East Texas area.

I did Medicare advantage a few years back and I'm in the process of opening my own agency.

MA: Humana, HealthSpring, Scott & White

Med Supp: Omaha, CLI, Cigna, Medico, BC/BS. Also, get AARP as a backup for people that want a supp, but may be pretty sick, and outside of open enrollment/GI.

Last edited:
I do not recommend marketing at all for MA. I try to do Med Supp only. However, I am in Texas. If you think you must sell MA, you want to look at the Care Improvement Plus (CIP) Regional PPO.

The thing I like about the regional PPO is that it can be used anywhere in the state of Texas. No network. All a provider has to do is at least agree to send in a claim to the program. It is a zero premium plan.

Parent company of CIP is UHC. That is not good news. For a portion of this year, they stopped paying commission on this product and then started paying on it again. Had one slip through the cracks that I did not get paid on. NOT happy about that.

Lastly, just do Med Supp. You will have a much happier life.

Does Scott and White go that far east???

Just start with Med Supp. MA and MAPD plans are giant PIA. And I wouldn't license with all of them. Pick one and use them for the first year.

And I would search Mutual of Omaha on the forum. IMO, what they did to seniors is criminal.

I do not recommend marketing at all for MA. I try to do Med Supp only. However, I am in Texas. If you think you must sell MA, you want to look at the Care Improvement Plus (CIP) Regional PPO.

The thing I like about the regional PPO is that it can be used anywhere in the state of Texas. No network. All a provider has to do is at least agree to send in a claim to the program. It is a zero premium plan.

Was a zero premium plan..... 1-1-15 it will be $19 a month with a rx deductible.

----------

Does Scott and White go that far east???

Just start with Med Supp. MA and MAPD plans are giant PIA. And I wouldn't license with all of them. Pick one and use them for the first year.

And I would search Mutual of Omaha on the forum. IMO, what they did to seniors is criminal.

What are you referring to the plan N fiasco???

Yes, Scott & White goes that far East. I don't push MA/PD's very much either, but you're not going to have much success in East Texas without them. A lot of low income, especially in the small towns.

Regarding MoO, I used to hate them as well, but I've learned it's better to embrace them, and sell them when appropriate, rather than fight the client and try to convince them that MoO is playing bait & switch games with their opening of new blocks of business and low T-65 rates. I personally think MoO has cleaned up their act lately (tighter underwriting, no commission on GI business, and no Plan N), but it's hardly an agent's place to try and predict rate increases anyway, IMO.

Yes, Scott & White goes that far East. I don't push MA/PD's very much either, but you're not going to have much success in East Texas without them. A lot of low income, especially in the small towns.

Regarding MoO, I used to hate them as well, but I've learned it's better to embrace them, and sell them when appropriate, rather than fight the client and try to convince them that MoO is playing bait & switch games with their opening of new blocks of business and low T-65 rates. I personally think MoO has cleaned up their act lately (tighter underwriting, no commission on GI business, and no Plan N), and it's hardly your place to try and predict rate increases anyway, IMO.

Thanks for letting me know my place. However, I was referring to what they did with the MOO rates and then wanted anyone insurable to move to Omaha, while significantly increasing the MOO rates, since anyone who was left was uninsurable. Wasn't that sweet of them?

Back