Educational Presentation

HuntAssuranceGroup

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am thinking of developing a PowerPoint presentation from a BCBS booklet that explains Medicare. Is that breaking complaince? Does anyone have a good PowerPoint educational presentation or guidelines they are willing to share?

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Why don't you use the Medicare and You book for reference? Also if you mention Medicare Advantage I do believe you have to have it approved by CMS.

Why don't you use the Medicare and You book for reference? Also if you mention Medicare Advantage I do believe you have to have it approved by CMS.
If you mention MA plan specifics it's a marketing event that requires approval by the plan and must be registered with CMS. Simply mentioning the existence of MA plans and in a general way how they work in an seminar that meets the standards of an educational event does not require CMS approval.

UHC has a number of pretty good pieces you can use. Educational in nature and although it does have the UHC propaganda, it's still ok to use.

I'm doing a meeting with 100+ seniors on Thursday. I'm not going to use a powerpoint but instead am "chatting" with them, will present information about Medicare, and pass out a booklet from UHC.

More time for questions and interaction is much better than a formal presentation.

Rick

I am thinking of developing a PowerPoint presentation from a BCBS booklet that explains Medicare. Is that breaking complaince? Does anyone have a good PowerPoint educational presentation or guidelines they are willing to share?

I use one that I originally got from Medicare then "tweaked" for my use. I use it with financial planners when I am trying to get their referrals, groups and individual clients.

BUT I am not MA or PDP certified, so I don't have the CMS police with their silly rulebook. I doubt its compliant.

For big groups, I agree with Rick, but its only about 7 minutes in front of group. (Please hold your questions until the end)

UHC has a number of pretty good pieces you can use. Educational in nature and although it does have the UHC propaganda, it's still ok to use. I'm doing a meeting with 100+ seniors on Thursday. I'm not going to use a powerpoint but instead am "chatting" with them, will present information about Medicare, and pass out a booklet from UHC. More time for questions and interaction is much better than a formal presentation. Rick

I love the UHC stuff. I have found though that with the UHC 'Medicare Made Clear' it still confuses them and they think I only rep UHC. Is it compliant to just talk about Part A, B, C, D; enrollment periods;

What are you using to explain the differences between supp and advantage? The one chart in Medicare and You that shows Original Medicare and you've got Option 1 Medicare supp - PDP and option 2 Medicare advantage if you want more than Original Medicare.

----------

I think your right. Mention MA and it's on for CMS compliance. I try to keep p but these dang rules and changing or not written to make it easy fir us yo explain Medicare options.

I think your right. Mention MA and it's on for CMS compliance. I try to keep p but these dang rules and changing or not written to make it easy fir us yo explain Medicare options. Sent from my iPad using InsForums
Mentioning MA does not make it a marketing event subject to those compliance and reporting rules. Talking about MA plan specifics does.

I am not opposed, however, to agents imposing additional restrictions on themselves that CMS does not, at least in the markets I work.

Last edited:
Just mentioning MA and PDP plans does not make it a marketing event, but how many times does one just mention it and it leads to a full explanation and benefits? Better to be safe than sorry.

Doesn't UHC have a piece that explains the difference between having original Medicare Part A & B, supplement, PDP and MA's? You can start out by saying there are 4 parts, A,B,C,D and if you choose C it replaces your original Medicare but you are still in the Medicare program and social is still taking your money for Part B, but when you receive medical services you do not and repeat do not show your Medicare card, just your insurance card. I do not use power point presentation's either. Each person in seminar gets a copy of my presentation and we go over every page to remain in compliance. I do answer question's as they come and not at the end.

Just mentioning MA and PDP plans does not make it a marketing event, but how many times does one just mention it and it leads to a full explanation and benefits? Better to be safe than sorry.
Dozens of seminars done and not one time has my general description of how MA plans work led to a full explanation of benefits (or any explanation at all).. Careful and compliant beats better safe than sorry as a successful business strategy in my view. The existing rules are tough enough; I see no need to add to them.

Back