Equitable Med Sup and COPD?

Any carrier can have a hiccup and you can get an underwriter that doesn't know or doesn't understand.

I have had more run in's with Eq than other carriers but still use them as my #2 carrier.

Jimmy, I am curious how you got a COPD with Spiriva approved. They declined one of mine last year that used Spriva for asthma. When I talked to the underwriter he said Spiriva is an auto-decline.

Why?

Because it is used for COPD and CHF.

But it is also used for asthma.

We just ASSUME it is for CHF.

That sent me through the roof. Stopped using them for a few months. Back again but more cautious.

Spiriva for CHF, never heard that one. I did it and they approved her. It doesn't show up in the UW guide

My bad. Checked my notes. Spironolactone, not Spiriva.

This lady took it for HTN.

Turned her down because they said they thought she had CHF. No basis, just had a feeling ......

My bad. Checked my notes. Spironolactone, not Spiriva.

This lady took it for HTN.

Turned her down because they said they thought she had CHF. No basis, just had a feeling ......

Yep, that's on the KO list if used for CHF.

They turned her down for HBP?! I think I would've tried to do another POS with another interviewer.

I have had one declined and then 15 minutes later after me talking to another UW it was issued...

It's so common to talk to 2 different people and get 2 different answers.

A couple of months ago this gal at Humana was telling me something I knew was wrong, so I politely ended the call and called right back. I'll be damned if the same gal didn't answer the phone. I just told her that I knew she was wrong, so I wanted to talk to someone else. She didn't get offended, and put someone else on. I got the right answer with a different person.

I told the 2nd person the answer I got from the other person. I said I wasn't wanting to get her in trouble, but she needed some more training so she didn't give out anymore wrong info, and they agreed.

It's so common to talk to 2 different people and get 2 different answers. A couple of months ago this gal at Humana was telling me something I knew was wrong, so I politely ended the call and called right back. I'll be damned if the same gal didn't answer the phone. I just told her that I knew she was wrong, so I wanted to talk to someone else. She didn't get offended, and put someone else on. I got the right answer with a different person. I told the 2nd person the answer I got from the other person. I said I wasn't wanting to get her in trouble, but she needed some more training so she didn't give out anymore wrong info, and they agreed.

If you knew the answer then why did you call? Silly monkey.

If you knew the answer then why did you call? Silly monkey.

What she said that was wrong wasn't what I asked, but during the conversation she told me I was wrong about something I said. It was about the Walmart PDP plan. She was trying to tell me that the $320 deductible applied to tiers 1 and 2 at Walmart. I can't even remember the question I called about now.

I think I would've tried to do another POS with another interviewer.

Could have. Didn't.

After talking with the underwriter I call the prospective client back. Had a long conversation about medical history. In so many words, she admitted to doctor shopping except not for the usual situation.

If she didn't like what the doctor said she simply moved on to someone else. When a doc wanted to do cardiac testing she refused and moved on to someone else. Eventually she found someone who agreed with her and put her on BP med's.

I still don't know what her health was like, but I heard enough to know she was trouble.

It's so common to talk to 2 different people and get 2 different answers.

A couple of months ago this gal at Humana was telling me something I knew was wrong, so I politely ended the call and called right back. I'll be damned if the same gal didn't answer the phone. I just told her that I knew she was wrong, so I wanted to talk to someone else. She didn't get offended, and put someone else on. I got the right answer with a different person.

I told the 2nd person the answer I got from the other person. I said I wasn't wanting to get her in trouble, but she needed some more training so she didn't give out anymore wrong info, and they agreed.

Sadly a lot of companies out there will hire morons off the street and give them just a bare amount of training. :swoon: This does not surprise me. Like I always tell the people under me in my call center. If you don't know, ask. If your not sure ask. If your less then 90% sure, ask. We would rather be right than affect someone for the rest of their life.

Back