Funeral/Cemetery Sales. Questions...

Nawlinsguy

Expert
I am going to start working for a funeral arranging/cemetery sales company that is very well known in this area. Property/plot is paid by cash or financing and funeral payment option is through a whole life policy by ForeThought. Payment of policy goes directly to company upon insureds death. I feel this is also an excellent way to get leads for other insurance products (med supps, long term care) which I can follow up with after personally meeting with the client for this final arrangement product. I have two questions.

1. Has anyone here ever worked in this kind of position before?

2. What problems may there be as far as conflict of interest?

Last edited:
I have done Preneed funeral for many years. It gives you great cross sell opportunities if your funeral home allows it.
Forethought is no longer competitive in the Preneed market. That will make your sales more difficult.
I hear the mausoleums in your area are $100,000 on up and have 20 year mortgages. That might be an interesting sale.

I have done Preneed funeral for many years. It gives you great cross sell opportunities if your funeral home allows it.
Forethought is no longer competitive in the Preneed market. That will make your sales more difficult.
I hear the mausoleums in your area are $100,000 on up and have 20 year mortgages. That might be an interesting sale.

Yeah, those mausoleums can get up there but there a a lot of choices from $10,000 and up. just not as grandiose. Average funeral about 9k to 12k. 10% to 15% commish but it takes a lot of cold calling and follow up. Not a job for everyone but I want to give it a try. I don't want to bring up the possibility of cross selling other products to the company initially. I would rather get this job down pat first. That being said, If they do not allow me to sell other products I don't see any reason why I could not recommend some other agents I know to show the customer products that may also be of interest to them. I could also just supply the lead. I really don't see a conflict of interest problem (as long as they don't try to sell them an FE policy to replace mine). I am sure I could work out an equitable split with them. What's your take on this having been in the business?

Last edited:
Ask your FH to look at Homesteaders.

ESPECIALLY if you sell Aurora caskets.

Very competitive premiums and good commissions.

Excellent customer/agency service.

We have been working with them for a couple of months now and are very pleased.

Ask your FH to look at Homesteaders.

ESPECIALLY if you sell Aurora caskets.

Very competitive premiums and good commissions.

Excellent customer/agency service.

We have been working with them for a couple of months now and are very pleased.

Thanks for the recommendation. I may bring up that idea after being there a bit.;)

Back