Are General Enrollment Period Part B Plans "ICEPs?"

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I have a few MA customers who are trying to get their Part B back and will have Part B effective on 7-1-17. What is the election situation code that I should use and can they be submitted as early as 4-1-17? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a few MA customers who are trying to get their Part B back and will have Part B effective on 7-1-17. What is the election situation code that I should use and can they be submitted as early as 4-1-17? Thanks.

Not sure of the code, but know they have to be submitted prior to 7/1

I could swear I wrote an MA like this before but cant say 100 % for sure.

However I just looked at AARP EP/SEP booklet and it states this is available for PDP but not MAPD

----------

For PDP It says SEP/GEP Part B
Begins 04/01
Ends 06/30

I could swear I wrote an MA like this before but cant say 100 % for sure.

However I just looked at AARP EP/SEP booklet and it states this is available for PDP but not MAPD

----------

For PDP It says SEP/GEP Part B
Begins 04/01
Ends 06/30

I have these every yr....got 3 this yr & I use ICEP every time for MAPDs.

I have these every yr....got 3 this yr & I use ICEP every time for MAPDs.

I remember for sure I wrote one 2 years ago, Don't know why EP/Sep book states this EP is not available for MA but PDP only,

If I run across one I will still submit it.

Last edited:
I remember for sure I wrong one 2 years ago, Don't know why EP/Sep book states this EP is not available for MA but PDP only,

If I run across one I will still submit it.

Regarding MAPD and PDP enrollments for 7/1 effective date after GEP enrollment:

There is no SEP-GEP Part B for Medicare Advantage however it's really not an issue because it is always going to be a delay of part B so therefore an ICEP code used

On the flip side there is no such thing as an ICEP code for a PDP .There is a SEP-GEP code for a 7/1 effective PDP enrollment.

As far as time frame for enrollment for both MA and PDP for a 7/1 effective date following a beneficiaries general period enrollment in to part B it it can be done from 4/1- 6/30 for 7/1 effective only

If you read through the CMS MA/MAPD guidelines ("Chapter 2") you'll see there's really no mention about an election related to the GEP since it's based on when Part B starts and that just means you'd have the ICEP available for MA/MAPD enrollment from 4/1 to 6/30 for a 7/1 start.

The PDP SEP-GEP isn't available to everyone just b/c they're starting Part B 7/1. More times than not these people already have Part A (along with Part D eligibility). You have to be paying for your Part A in order to use this SEP.

Straight from the PDP enrollment guidance ("Chapter 3"):

6. SEP for Individuals Who Enroll in Part B during the Part B General Enrollment Period (GEP) – An SEP will be provided to individuals who are not entitled to premium free Part A and who enroll in Part B during the General Enrollment Period for Part B (January – March) for an effective date of July 1st. The SEP will begin April 1st and end June 30th, with an effective date of July 1st.

If you read through the CMS MA/MAPD guidelines ("Chapter 2") you'll see there's really no mention about an election related to the GEP since it's based on when Part B starts and that just means you'd have the ICEP available for MA/MAPD enrollment from 4/1 to 6/30 for a 7/1 start.

The PDP SEP-GEP isn't available to everyone just b/c they're starting Part B 7/1. More times than not these people already have Part A (along with Part D eligibility). You have to be paying for your Part A in order to use this SEP.

Straight from the PDP enrollment guidance ("Chapter 3"):

6. SEP for Individuals Who Enroll in Part B during the Part B General Enrollment Period (GEP) – An SEP will be provided to individuals who are not entitled to premium free Part A and who enroll in Part B during the General Enrollment Period for Part B (January – March) for an effective date of July 1st. The SEP will begin April 1st and end June 30th, with an effective date of July 1st.

Wow I missed that, so it looks like MA only enrollment for 7/1 for consumers who want PDP. Good for agents to know so they don't get consumers locked out of drug coverage by selling med supps for a 7/1

Back