Getting Started in Supps

No I still buy I am about to start spending more time leaning about it, But I am not even at square one yet It will take a little time.

I hate shared leads, but it is harder and harder to self generate. I'm trying to learn facebook marketing, or at least find someone to do it for me. I think that could be a great way to generate med supplement leads.

I sent you a pm. Getting a decent website is the easy part. Figuring out how to make it profitable and generate leads is the challenge.

Is there a good list of questions to ask in order to get an idea if they would qualify for a rewrite?

I'd get to know the questions on the app and the underwriting guides for the companies you write, and make a cheat sheet so you have it handy with the major heath questions on it and how each company treats it(for instance most companies go bck 2 years for heart attack or cancer). Yo'll need to have the UW guides handy fo the prescription knockout lists.

I guess I'd worry most about the combination of diabetes/heart, cancer, height/weight.

Personally I'd ask them what meds they're taking and what they're taking them for. If they pass the KO list and none of the conditions are a decline, go to the app of the company they fit with. If they don't qualify, go to another. You'll get familiar with the different companies quickly and learn which companies are good for what conditions.

You'll need to pick up a few more companies than the ones you have, but get familiar with the ones you've got, so you'll know where you're lacking.

I have not but I don't do much direct mail, I try it every once in a while because everyone loves it but I never do to well with it, I am most comfortable with internet leads
Vic when you try the DM do you mail to T65's or do you try and rewrite them? I was thinking of starting to mail to the T65's out of state and see if I can get a pipeline going and just wondering what your experience has been with selling Med Supps over the phone w/ DM leads?

Vic when you try the DM do you mail to T65's or do you try and rewrite them? I was thinking of starting to mail to the T65's out of state and see if I can get a pipeline going and just wondering what your experience has been with selling Med Supps over the phone w/ DM leads?

I've tried T65 in NY very good (I will do 25% MA though) NJ decent but not nearly as good as NY & NC terrible almost everyone is on state retirement plan, Tricare or Medicaid (even though I do 30 K income filter) Ive also tried 67-75 in NC and was better than T65 but still not great

I don't much about these things all the mailers I put out were organized by FMO's mostly one FMO and the mail house of there choosing, Maybe there are some tricks to do better IDK, But to me seems to come out to over $30 per lead and they are not quality leads,

there are always issues, trying to get one done now over a month she is not at home and wont be for 6 months, I am doing AARP sup and drug coverage, She messed up first Medsupp app and just got 2nd one done, She does not have Medicare card but thought it was S.S -A but it is not she supposedly called S.S. 5 times and Medicare 3 Times but cant get someone on the phone and cant make it local S.S. where she is at because it is 5 buses away

Ugg I just don't run into this on internet leads but to me seems typical with mailer leads

Overall I have made money on them but seems like a lot of work, I am not a fan

I think if you do DM t65 leads it's easier if you do them locally. I still send out DM and it's pretty easy. I called all my leads on Tuesday. Set 4 for yesterday and ran them. I'll call all of them today plus my new ones and hope to fill up tomorrow.

I have TM's calling med supps out of state but I would never try to cold call t65s out of state. Education is tough over the phone.

Of course, Rick also trained Harrison Ford how to fly.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Unfortunately it's no longer a question as to how Harrison Ford will die, but when. Shouldn't be long until Vegas has odds on this.

Every time I've almost decided it's time to expand into Med Supps, I talk myself out of it. Leads aren't a problem for me, but I'm a technician - I want to know everything before I'm comfortable doing anything. I don't want to sell 25 a month or specialize in it, I want to be competent enough to be a resource for the folks who are currently referring other lines - LTC, life & DI - to me on a regular basis, and to offer it to my existing clients.

Based on the venom-spitting and teeth-gnashing I've seen on here about the few established sources for Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage sales training, it seems like the only way to get started in this is to just pick a couple of carriers, learn the heck out of their products, and start selling.

I've been told by a couple of guys in my area that they sell supps, but they don't sell Advantage plans or Part D. Is this common? Thanks.

That is more common than it probably should be.

Listen, you'll never get going until you stop talking yourself out of getting going. This isn't rocket surgery, so you just need to find a few carriers in your area that are the most competitive and get to work. Stop trying to figure it all out before you start because you never will. You'll learn so much in the field to begin with that you will never learn by reading the books, watching webinars, etc.

Please give me a call sometime and let me get you over your paralysis by analysis syndrome. I was once in your shoes and I understand what you're going through because I've already been through it. You're wasting time.

That is more common than it probably should be.

Listen, you'll never get going until you stop talking yourself out of getting going. This isn't rocket surgery, so you just need to find a few carriers in your area that are the most competitive and get to work. Stop trying to figure it all out before you start because you never will. You'll learn so much in the field to begin with that you will never learn by reading the books, watching webinars, etc.

Please give me a call sometime and let me get you over your paralysis by analysis syndrome. I was once in your shoes and I understand what you're going through because I've already been through it. You're wasting time.

Exactly. Back in Feb of '09 a guy and I started at the same time at Great american senior benefits. We sat next to each other and I just sat on the phone and made a bunch of calls. At the same time, he was trying to learn all the products in and out and which ones were best for certain situations. He was really just stalling to get on the phone. I was setting appts and being trained in the field in real time. He sat in the office all day reading.

Hell! Right now I'm stalling to get on the phone. I've called 30 leads this AM and I take little breaks to come on here. Back to work!

Exactly. Back in Feb of '09 a guy and I started at the same time at Great american senior benefits. We sat next to each other and I just sat on the phone and made a bunch of calls. At the same time, he was trying to learn all the products in and out and which ones were best for certain situations. He was really just stalling to get on the phone. I was setting appts and being trained in the field in real time. He sat in the office all day reading.

Hell! Right now I'm stalling to get on the phone. I've called 30 leads this AM and I take little breaks to come on here. Back to work!

The art of stalling! We all do it. Are you having any luck branching off to med supplements with the new tele sales leads?

The art of stalling! We all do it. Are you having any luck branching off to med supplements with the new tele sales leads?

I've always done med supps but this is the first time I've used TM's in other states.
Last year I dabbled in buying Internet leads like Vic, I didn't buy as many but I tried it. It wasn't for me. I cringed at every $35 lead that acted like they didn't mean to or didn't want any info.

So far in 2 pay periods I've paid out around $275 and have only sold one policy and have another lady waiting for me to sign her up but apparently New Era likes to wait a week to get released.

So far it's not ideal but it's only been two weeks and I'm learning how to have them set me better phone appts and I'm learning what to say to the client once I actually get them to pick up.
Hell I still don't feel like I know what to say other than, "I call people in your area who are on med supps and have had increases to their premiums over the years. Insurance companies love to constantly raise your premium hoping that you never switch". Then I tell them how every med supp is the same yada yada and go into whether they can qualify or not.

I've had some good calls but either they can't qualify or I can't even save them money. Had 2 calls today and one lady was paying $184 Plan F with bcbs. I'm thinking this could be nice. Nope couldn't save her money on plan F and it wouldn't even matter showing her G because she won't qualify.

I just need to hone my skills and change out one of my TM's

Back