Getting Started in Supps

kpbdy99

Super Genius
Every time I've almost decided it's time to expand into Med Supps, I talk myself out of it. Leads aren't a problem for me, but I'm a technician - I want to know everything before I'm comfortable doing anything. I don't want to sell 25 a month or specialize in it, I want to be competent enough to be a resource for the folks who are currently referring other lines - LTC, life & DI - to me on a regular basis, and to offer it to my existing clients.

Based on the venom-spitting and teeth-gnashing I've seen on here about the few established sources for Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage sales training, it seems like the only way to get started in this is to just pick a couple of carriers, learn the heck out of their products, and start selling.

I've been told by a couple of guys in my area that they sell supps, but they don't sell Advantage plans or Part D. Is this common? Thanks.

Every time I've almost decided it's time to expand into Med Supps, I talk myself out of it. Leads aren't a problem for me, but I'm a technician - I want to know everything before I'm comfortable doing anything. I don't want to sell 25 a month or specialize in it, I want to be competent enough to be a resource for the folks who are currently referring other lines - LTC, life & DI - to me on a regular basis, and to offer it to my existing clients.

Based on the venom-spitting and teeth-gnashing I've seen on here about the few established sources for Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage sales training, it seems like the only way to get started in this is to just pick a couple of carriers, learn the heck out of their products, and start selling.

I've been told by a couple of guys in my area that they sell supps, but they don't sell Advantage plans or Part D. Is this common? Thanks.

Yes, many agents sell Med Supps and leave the MA and PDP alone because of the rediculous rules you have to follow.:yes:

Once you do your 1st couple of them it's smooth sailing. Very easy since they are the most apples to apples product in existence. Just beat the price and get them approved and you are good. Learn Plan F, Plan G and Plan N which you learn just by the chart in the "Choosing a Medigap Policy" booklet. If they already have Part D just leave it alone. If they are turning 65 you will want to walk them through enrolling right on the Medicare.gov website. Teach yourself how to input RX lists and compare Part D plans ahead of time. It's very easy to learn but don't blindly do it on an appointment.

I have a huge base of Supplements and I was exactly in your same spot about 10 years ago. I taught myself by reading and doing. Never had a problem.

I still have on my short to do list that I'm going to put an open agent call for guys just at the spot you are at. Med a Sups for Dummies. I'm good at dummying down just what you need to know. Most agents are thinking way too deep and technical and that freezes them right up.

I have been tire kicking for a few months. I can't seem to get myself to start. I made a website and have studied a bit, but I don't know the best way to get the leads going. I suppose the real key is just to take action. If only I took my advice......

It seems like with my background replacements would be the easiest. Basically all that selling home & auto insurance is, is replacements. Selling them on a better rate and in some cases better coverage.

I have been tire kicking for a few months. I can't seem to get myself to start. I made a website and have studied a bit, but I don't know the best way to get the leads going. I suppose the real key is just to take action. If only I took my advice......

It seems like with my background replacements would be the easiest. Basically all that selling home & auto insurance is, is replacements. Selling them on a better rate and in some cases better coverage.

You can buy leads, or buy a targeted data list and make your own leads by telemarketing and cold door knocking. :yes:

you could study all you want but the real understanding is when you actually get started. get some teli leads order some mailers experiment.Do something get started make some mistakes and learn.

You can buy leads, or buy a targeted data list and make your own leads by telemarketing and cold door knocking. :yes:

I have salesdialers.com and a telemarketer I use for home insurance. Maybe I should have her call 67-69 year olds to save money.

----------

I'm appointed through Cigna and trans in Michigan. Michigan seems like a bad med supp state. MA is huge here. I suppose it's easy to get out of state licenses. I sell home and auto by internet and phone, so that's very familiar to me.

I don't do in person.

I have salesdialers.com and a telemarketer I use for home insurance. Maybe I should have her call 67-69 year olds to save money.

There you go, you can't wait for your website to produce leads. Personally, I'd do 67+. People over 69 have premium increases too.

----------

You should listen to Vic then, because he doesn't do F2F either.

And then there are those of us that AHIP/carrier certify and only sell Part D because MA is not available in our area.
If you sell Med Supps, you will either sell F, G or N. If Insurance is a hobby, sell High Deductible Plan F.
If you sell Plan F, you tell the senior, "for your upcoming hip replacement, Medicare will be billed, the balance gets paid by your Med Supp. You then have $0 liability".
If you sell Plan G, replace "$0" above with "$183".
If you sell Plan N, replace "$0" with "$183 + up to $20 per office visit copay"
This is how Rick trained me to sell.
Of course, Rick also trained Harrison Ford how to fly.

There you go, you can't wait for your website to produce leads. Personally, I'd do 67+. People over 69 have premium increases too.

----------

You should listen to Vic then, because he doesn't do F2F either.

Is there a good list of questions to ask in order to get an idea if they would qualify for a rewrite?

Back