Going to Start Door Knocking for Med Sup, Suggestions?

My understanding is that door knocking is only disallowed for MAs and I don't sell those. I do have a plan G that is the lowest priced in the county I will be working today, and I am armed with a small list of names and a map.

The approach I am planning to use is a variation on an approach I have been taught to use for other products.

"Hi, I'm Nick. Did I catch you at a bad time? Great. I have been working with your neighbors x, Y and z to help them make sure that they have the best Medicare Supplement coverage possible at the best possible price. While I was in the neighborhood I thought I would stop by and offer my services to you also. "

Don't know how it will work, I'm starting I an hour, I'll let you know how it goes. Please let me know if you have tweeks or suggestions.

Leave off the""did I catch you at a bad time?" .. if they say yes, most of the time you will be dead in the water.

----------

very first one on the don't list is:
Participate in door to door solicitation of Medicare beneficiaries.

For what product? MAs? Plan Ds?, FE? Car Insurance?, Medicare Supplement? Magazine Subscriptions? What you just posted is taken out of context. I f you read that one sentence and nothing else, it says you cannot conduct door to door solicitation for anything.

Leave off the""did I catch you at a bad time?" .. if they say yes, most of the time you will be dead in the water.

----------

For what product? MAs? Plan Ds?, FE? Car Insurance?, Medicare Supplement? Magazine Subscriptions? What you just posted is taken out of context. I f you read that one sentence and nothing else, it says you cannot conduct door to door solicitation for anything.

I had the entire list posted and it was ridiculously long so i shorten it, its on the don't list for Medicare solicitation guidelines.
I can see i'm going to be beat up by trying to help so i'll just say, good luck and God bless.

I had the entire list posted and it was ridiculously long so i shorten it, its on the don't list for Medicare solicitation guidelines.
I can see i'm going to be beat up by trying to help so i'll just say, good luck and God bless.

Post a link to your list...:idea:

----------

The Medicare Solicitation guidelines are not for Medicare Supplements...

Not trying to beat you up.. Just asking for a clarification of exactly what is being said. If they forbid canvasing for Medicare Supplement, that is the first I have heard of it. (unless you are in Ohio)

I do have a plan G that is the lowest priced in the county...

There no one company that's a fit for all. They all seem to have their own sweet spots regarding age groups. A carrier that's competitive with turning 65 may not be the best option for someone age 68. Then there's underwriting. You got to know who to place where.

I really shortened the learning curve by getting plugged into two training sites:

Medicareagenttraining.com (Especially for where to market and which companies to get.)

Medicaretraining101.com (Gets you up to speed about Medicare basics in a jiffy.)

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, Medicare guidelines this year say door knocking for medicare products, supps and mapds and pdps are no longer allowed. I'll try and find the paper in regards to this and attach to another message.

Yeah definitely not referring to med supps.

My understanding is that door knocking is only disallowed for MAs and I don't sell those. I do have a plan G that is the lowest priced in the county I will be working today, and I am armed with a small list of names and a map.

The approach I am planning to use is a variation on an approach I have been taught to use for other products.

"Hi, I'm Nick. Did I catch you at a bad time? Great. I have been working with your neighbors x, Y and z to help them make sure that they have the best Medicare Supplement coverage possible at the best possible price. While I was in the neighborhood I thought I would stop by and offer my services to you also. "

Don't know how it will work, I'm starting I an hour, I'll let you know how it goes. Please let me know if you have tweeks or suggestions.

The guvment doesn't have any restrictions on marketing med supps door to door but some of the carriers do i.e. UHC That is problem if you sell in Florida because they are usually the lowest rate and have the best rate stability. Even if you don't lead off with UHC but end of selling it from door knocking UHC would terminate your contract if they found out so keep carriers with these restrictions out of the mix completely when cold calling and you will be fine - at least until the guvment bans cold calling for med sup too.

One thing that worked for me was using the following:

Name tag - I used a lanyard (plain black one) with a clear picture holder and made my own name tag. I just put a mug shot of myself on it with my name under it. Then on the back side I put my insurance license (MO gives you the ability to print off a wallet size version)

Clipboard - I bought the kind that opens up so I had a place to keep my business cards and flyers.

Mind you I took this idea from an AT&T U-Verse sales person who came door knocking at my house. He had a AT&T jacket, polo, name tag (on a lanyard) and a clipboard. There is a psychological effect when you see someone with a clipboard that says they are there for business. I used to wear my Humana logo'd stuff all the time.

One thing that worked for me was using the following:

Name tag - I used a lanyard (plain black one) with a clear picture holder and made my own name tag. I just put a mug shot of myself on it with my name under it. Then on the back side I put my insurance license (MO gives you the ability to print off a wallet size version)

Clipboard - I bought the kind that opens up so I had a place to keep my business cards and flyers.

Mind you I took this idea from an AT&T U-Verse sales person who came door knocking at my house. He had a AT&T jacket, polo, name tag (on a lanyard) and a clipboard. There is a psychological effect when you see someone with a clipboard that says they are there for business. I used to wear my Humana logo'd stuff all the time.

When someone knocks on my door branded with all that cable or energy company stuff plastered all over them, the psychological effect it has on me is "Oh crap, someone here to sell me something.":no: I rarely answer the door. When a professional looking person wearing and carrying nothing knocks, I think it may be a guy in the neighborhood I don't know or a police officer. I am curious. I almost always answer. It can work both ways.

Back