GoodRx to Charge a Fee?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Checking prices on GoodRx. Got a popup asking how much I would pay for the card if I saved $10/month. Gave options of $15, $25, $40 and "I would not pay".

Testing the water or considering a "premium" version?

Hello from GoodRx (I'm one of the founders).

We would never require people to pay a fee to use GoodRx. We are, however, always thinking about ways to find lower prices or otherwise change the system to create more value for consumers. We also strive to better understand the people that come to the site. So...I wouldn't read too much into this except that we are always researching and asking questions. That's about it.

Hope that helps.

Hello from GoodRx (I'm one of the founders). We would never require people to pay a fee to use GoodRx. We are, however, always thinking about ways to find lower prices or otherwise change the system to create more value for consumers. We also strive to better understand the people that come to the site. So...I wouldn't read too much into this except that we are always researching and asking questions. That's about it. Hope that helps.

I have been hearing, not from clients but 3rd hand, that some pharmacies are not honoring the prices shown on GoodRX
where a coupon from your site is needed. I did have a conversation with a pharmacist at one of the large big box discount store chains, his quote: "I lose money every day with these coupons". How do they work, and what is the incentive for the pharmacies to honor them?

Hello from GoodRx (I'm one of the founders).

We would never require people to pay a fee to use GoodRx. We are, however, always thinking about ways to find lower prices or otherwise change the system to create more value for consumers. We also strive to better understand the people that come to the site. So...I wouldn't read too much into this except that we are always researching and asking questions. That's about it.

Hope that helps.

Love your product!

I have been hearing, not from clients but 3rd hand, that some pharmacies are not honoring the prices shown on GoodRX
where a coupon from your site is needed. I did have a conversation with a pharmacist at one of the large big box discount store chains, his quote: "I lose money every day with these coupons". How do they work, and what is the incentive for the pharmacies to honor them?

Hi York. Our coupons are based on contracted relationships between major PBM's and pharmacies. Pharmacies have agreed to accept these rates (where they make MORE than they'd make with a typical insured individual, btw), but (very rarely) some pharmacists either don't understand how to process coupons or simply want to take more profits at the expense of the consumer and the contract they've agreed to accept. Keep in mind that the times issues at a pharmacy are few and far between; we're constantly monitoring to ensure a smooth experience for people and we'll do everything in our power to resolve the infrequent issues.

Pharmacies do have the option to not honor coupon for controlled substances, and we tell folks that on our coupons, but in practice, they're accepted 99% of the time.

Does that help?

Hi York. Our coupons are based on contracted relationships between major PBM's and pharmacies. Pharmacies have agreed to accept these rates (where they make MORE than they'd make with a typical insured individual, btw), but (very rarely) some pharmacists either don't understand how to process coupons or simply want to take more profits at the expense of the consumer and the contract they've agreed to accept. Keep in mind that the times issues at a pharmacy are few and far between; we're constantly monitoring to ensure a smooth experience for people and we'll do everything in our power to resolve the infrequent issues.

Pharmacies do have the option to not honor coupon for controlled substances, and we tell folks that on our coupons, but in practice, they're accepted 99% of the time.

Does that help?

Great information. My guess is that the incredibly busy pharm manager threw out an off the cuff remark, or is pulled in so many directions, he is not clear about how the coupons work in great detail. Having worked a WalMart insurance table in 3 different stores, I am aware of all the balancing acts each manager has.

Others on this forum have advised that sometimes the coupons can work better than the insurance, but that depends on each situation. I am glad to know GoodRX is a real, pre-arranged pricing option. Thanks.

Clobetasol cream, 60gm tube was $92 @ CVS with my Humana plan. As low as $27 with GoodRx

I've used GoodRX many times over the years (and I can also use the VA) and have referred others as well. It's a great program without all the red tape.

Happy to hear it. Yes, we can often beat insurance co-pays, especially for generics and when you're caught with high deductibles, donut holes, prior authorizations and the like.

Thanks!

Just curious never thought about it till now, Is it a one or the other deal or can someone use Good RX for a drug and still have that go towards deductible?

Back