Group Coverage / MA Overlap?

cladams

Expert
Group Coverage / MA Overlap Scenerio?

I have a couple clients/benes (under 65), who's group benefits were increasing, so I moved them to a combination of (CIP, GTL, & UCT).

They have BCBS of AL for their company group benefits. They tried to call the administrators of their group benefits this morning to cancel the coverage effective 12/31/14, as the above mentioned policies will go into effect 1/1/15.

They received an automated message, that stated the office would be closed until Jan 5. Of course, when applying for the CIP MA plan, we said that the group coverage would terminate 12/31/14, but because of the admin's "winter break" it does not appear that will be possible.

As a result the clients asked which insurance they should use, until they can get the group ins cancelled after Jan 5, with a termination date of Jan 31. It is my understanding that they will need to use the CIP for medical services durning the month of January, since CMS has verified that they are now enrolled in MA.

He has a dental plan through the group though, and will now be paying the January premium. Can you foresee any problem with him using the group dental plan? (CIP has a cleaning benefit / UCT - 3 month waiting on Preventive)

Convoluted situation, I know - thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Re: Group Coverage / MA Overlap Scenerio?

I have a couple clients/benes (under 65), who's group benefits were increasing, so I moved them to a combination of (CIP, GTL, & UCT).

They have BCBS of AL for their company group benefits. They tried to call the administrators of their group benefits this morning to cancel the coverage effective 12/31/14, as the above mentioned policies will go into effect 1/1/15.

They received an automated message, that stated the office would be closed until Jan 5. Of course, when applying for the CIP MA plan, we said that the group coverage would terminate 12/31/14, but because of the admin's "winter break" it does not appear that will be possible.

As a result the clients asked which insurance they should use, until they can get the group ins cancelled after Jan 5, with a termination date of Jan 31. It is my understanding that they will need to use the CIP for medical services durning the month of January, since CMS has verified that they are now enrolled in MA.

He has a dental plan through the group though, and will now be paying the January premium. Can you foresee any problem with him using the group dental plan? (CIP has a cleaning benefit / UCT - 3 month waiting on Preventive)

Convoluted situation, I know - thanks for any insight.

If possible, I would have them mail/email a request to end the group coverage as of 12/31/14 to make all the questions moot. This way the request is on file prior to January. Do you know what kind of coverage the BCBS plan is? I'm assuming it's not a Medicare Advantage, but you never know. Would be easier for you if it were.

It's not an MA plan - it is a group BCBS of AL plan.

Good idea about getting the request postmarked, and in the mail prior to 12/31, or emailed.

Last edited:
Back