GTL is No Help

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Here is the short story:

I have a client who purchased a GTL Hospital Indemnity Plan. He was admitted to the hospital, then passed. I have been working with his widow in getting the claim processed.

There is no estate. We asked that the checked be made out to her, since Georgia does not participate in a "small estate" situation. We were told no, then yes, then no, and then finally yes.

Well, they processed the claim, but are sending the money to the state, and here is what the grieving widow must do:

If the person died intestate and no permanent administration in Georgia has been had upon the estate, any heir of the deceased may file a petition for an order that no administration or no permanent administration is necessary.

They are correct, there is no “small estate affidavit” form in Georgia.

Administration papers will be sufficient. There are several different forms depending on what exactly they are trying to claim. I would think in our case they would need to send in a petition for order declaring no administration necessary.

The petition should include:

- name & domicile of decedent
- the names, ages or majority status, and domicile of the heirs of the decedent
- a description of the property in the state owned by the decedent
- that the estate owes no debts or that there are known debts and all creditors have consented or will be served
- and that the heirs have agreed upon a division of the estate among themselves
- the agreement containing original signatures of all the heirs, attested to by a clerk of the probate court or a notary public, shall be attached to the petition.

Claim Department
cid:4AFFB331-CC4B-4D27-928B-1137BCB710D0

1275 Milwaukee Ave, Glenview, IL 60025
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | gtlic.com

Anyone know if there is some way I can help her procure the forms, or does she need to go through an attorney? This is for the state of Georgia.

Bob: can't really help but GTL and UNL have proven to be fairly difficult to deal with in certain areas. They seem to make their own rules. I submitted life case on a young lady whose uncle was paying the premium for her. He was already paying the premium for polices on her brothers with another company. The uncle was not the policyholder nor the beneficiary. Their mother was. The only thing the uncle was doing was having the premium drafted from his checking account. They declined the case saying the uncle could no be the premium payer. I submitted to another company and it was issued no questions asked.

Called the Legal Department this morning at 10 am.

Got a call back from Pam Salas, the lady I spoke with on Friday. She told me, "In light of the circumstances, we will be issuing the check to the widow directly" and she verified the spelling of her name.

Back