Guarantee Issue Medicare Supplement

SouthernComfort

Guru
100+ Post Club
Do all companies pay a stated amount for GIS? Does It vary by state?

AARP
MOO
New Era
Aflac
Continental Life
Forethought
Heartland
Loyal American
Combined
Royal Neighbors
BC/BS
Medico
Assured
GPM
Cigna

The only ones on that list that pay full comp on GI (outside of T65) would be AARP (if you call it full commission) and Continental, but for the most part it depends on each state and the company.

CO is one of the exceptions. They require carriers to pay full comp on all business including the dreaded under 65 disability policies.

Do all companies pay a stated amount for GIS? Does It vary by state?

AARP
MOO
New Era
Aflac
Continental Life
Forethought
Heartland
Loyal American
Combined
Royal Neighbors
BC/BS
Medico
Assured
GPM
Cigna

I don't/haven't written for all those carriers, but AARP pays full comp on GI as does BCBS and Continental Life. It's been a while since I wrote with MOO, but they used to pay full comp. Don't know if they do anymore. Same goes for GPM.

New Era pays $25 on GI and cuts the commission in half on Open Enrollment cases.

I haven't contracted with AFLAC and Cigna due to their contract. The other carriers are really non players in Georgia.

[It's been a while since I wrote with MOO, but they used to pay full comp. Don't know if they do anymore. Same goes for GPM.]

They both pay very little. Around $15 an app or so as does Medico.

It is extremely hard to make a blanket statement response to your question...

Ultimately the answer varies from company to company and even from state to state with each given company. Also, it depends on what type 'GI' case you're referring to.

I don't know that this response really answers your specific question, but I wanted to at least qualify the responses that you do get. It's always important to check with each carrier on how they consider each individual case/situation.

Senior Market Design, Inc
888-495-8038

Also, it depends on what type 'GI' case you're referring to.

Are there carriers who pay different amounts based on a particular GI? For example, are you saying there is a carrier that pays one commission for someone losing group and another for someone losing a MAPD? I have never seen that.

New Era pays a flat $25 (in Georgia) for ALL GI apps. It doesn't matter if they lost group coverage, trial right for MAPD or their MAPD carrier left the area. The commission is the same.

It's been a while since I wrote with MOO, but they used to pay full comp. Don't know if they do anymore. Same goes for GPM.

No. Actually, that would be HELL NO because MOO invented the GI commission cuts. The other companies jumped on the bandwagon after they saw MOO do it.

I believe MOO and GPM are half for GI but at least they don't ding you for Open Enrollment. At least that's how it was but I haven't kept up so maybe they changed again.

By the way South Carolina is another state where the DOI mandated full commissions.

By the way South Carolina is another state where the DOI mandated full commissions.

True. For all companies except New Era, who told me a couple of months ago that they were going to keep paying 1/2 on OE until the SCDOI made them do otherwise. That may have changed since that conversation

Back