Guaranteed Issue Question

rhcbp

Expert
I have someone who is over 65 with both parts a and b. He is retired. His former employer is discontinuing his insurance. Does he qualify for guaranteed issue for a med supp?

Thank you in advance.

I have someone who is over 65 with both parts a and b. He is retired. His former employer is discontinuing his insurance. Does he qualify for guaranteed issue for a med supp?

Thank you in advance.

Thats whats known as having a fish jump in the boat er I mean anytime a person loses their group coverage for any reason they are eligible for guarantee issue. Now set up him up with a name brand company(not gerber or mickey mouse life!)and if your lucky he may cause a couple of more fish to jump in your boat someday!:1arghh:

If he's being dropped from his group coverage he should be able to get a med supp on a Guaranteeed issue basis and he should be able to get a PDP plan. He'd have a SEP for the PDP, you'd check the box that state's I'm involuntarily/voluntarily losing employer or union coverage.

Thank you in advance.

Yes... if he is coming off work insurance, then he is treated as if he is just turning 65.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All but Jdeasy are on the same boat here.... I think you got your answer.

Last edited:
If he's being dropped from his group coverage he should be able to get a med supp on a Guaranteeed issue basis and he should be able to get a PDP plan. He'd have a SEP for the PDP, you'd check the box that state's I'm involuntarily/voluntarily losing employer or union coverage.

It doesn't matter if he's being dropped or if he's electing to drop it himself at any time - both instances create a SEP = G.I.

Yes... if he is coming off work insurance, then he is treated as if he is just turning 65.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All but Jdeasy are on the same boat here.... I think you got your answer.

You don't know what you are talking about. Everybody that is losing coverage does not get a GI. It has to be creditable. That's why I said "probably", but more info is needed.

Also, they are not treated the same as turning 65. They have 63 days not 6 months.

There is no SEP, that is a term that applies to MA plans not Medicare Supplement plans, he will not be treated as though he is just turning 65, he will not have "Open Enrollment". It is important that agents giving advice on Medicare Supplement Plans understand Medicare's terminology.

If the group plan is being discontinued then Medicare will allow him to get a Med Supp under "Guaranteed Issue".

If he is voluntarily dropping his group coverage then he may or may not be entitled to guaranteed issue. Whether or not he receives the guaranteed issue privilege is going to depend on the state he lives in. He would not be entitled to GI in Missouri.

If the group plan is being discontinued then Medicare will allow him to get a Med Supp under "Guaranteed Issue".
If he is voluntarily dropping his group coverage then he may or may not be entitled to guaranteed issue. Whether or not he receives the guaranteed issue privilege is going to depend on the state he lives in. He would not be entitled to GI in Missouri.
Something is not adding up in my little brain here. If someone is turning 65, and they have Medicare Parts A and B, wouldn't they have a GI period of 7 months for a MedSupp, and in some cases even longer regardless of the state since this is a Medicare (Federal) provision?
As far as MA plans, anybody with Parts A and B that can fog a mirror will get them, same as a PDP plan....there is no other qualifier.

Back