Has Anyone Ever Used "IEP 2" As an SEP on an App?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I've really had to use a lot of obscure SEPs lately. I found "IEP2" on the 2012 United list. My understanding of it is that when a person that ALREADY has Medicare A & B through disability is now turning 65; now wishes to use a special election to join an MAPD.
Anybody ever used this before.
I've enrolled plenty of Medicare folks under 65, but they were always either ICEP, SEP-Lis or SEP-DE or SEP-chronic. I just enrolled one that who is supposedly "IEP2" and am about to submit to Humana for accretion.

I've really had to use a lot of obscure SEPs lately. I found "IEP2" on the 2012 United list. My understanding of it is that when a person that ALREADY has Medicare A & B through disability is now turning 65; now wishes to use a special election to join an MAPD.
Anybody ever used this before.
I've enrolled plenty of Medicare folks under 65, but they were always either ICEP, SEP-Lis or SEP-DE or SEP-chronic. I just enrolled one that who is supposedly "IEP2" and am about to submit to Humana for accretion.

Yes in fact I used a double secret IEP2 last month for a client who was on Medicare disability for years and was turning 65 on May 1st so I was able to move up the enrollment to April 1st because her Birthday fell on the first day of the month.I called Medicare to confirm this and it had be escalated up three supervisory levels before they would confirm this could be done.

The client was very happy she could a month earlier because she enrolled in another MA plan for AEP where the agent had lied to her about the network and formulary

Yes in fact I used a double secret IEP2 last month for a client who was on Medicare disability for years and was turning 65 on May 1st so I was able to move up the enrollment to April 1st because her Birthday fell on the first day of the month.I called Medicare to confirm this and it had be escalated up three supervisory levels before they would confirm this could be done.

The client was very happy she could a month earlier because she enrolled in another MA plan for AEP where the agent had lied to her about the network and formulary

Thank you for your input. My prospect has NEVER been on a PDP or MA plan. He has been straight Medicare since 1999 and VA. This is his first enrollment in an MA plan.

Humana Agent Support verified that it is SEP-Other to be submitted with explanation that the person is T65.

Last edited:
Medicare supplements will consider them open enrollment also if you wanted to write the client a Med supp on a guaranteed issue basis. I've written lots of Med DI people that were turning 65

Hey Wehotex,

Someone in the know, please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe IEP2 is an internal SEP code that United Healthcare uses on their AARP and Secure Horizons MA plans to signify a person enrolling into an MA plan During a normal IEP period, except they aren't technicically "initial" because they already have Medicare early due to a disability.

I do not recall seeing it in any non-UHC companies, so I am not sure it is an official SEP code. Again, someone please correct me if this is not correct.

Hey Wehotex,

Someone in the know, please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe IEP2 is an internal SEP code that United Healthcare uses on their AARP and Secure Horizons MA plans to signify a person enrolling into an MA plan During a normal IEP period, except they aren't technicically "initial" because they already have Medicare early due to a disability.

I do not recall seeing it in any non-UHC companies, so I am not sure it is an official SEP code. Again, someone please correct me if this is not correct.

No, it is not exclusive to UHC. My Humana IEP2 app has already been accreted. In addition, I noticed a list of standard SEPs on the back of a blank Bravo app, of which IEP2 was one. I've just never had the occasion to use it until now.

Back