Healthnet to Do Away with GA's in AZ and CA

What they pay agents is a small drop in the bucket of what they could pay us. We would be compensated at least twice as much of the smaller MAs and Humana hadn't complained so much in 2008. For those up lines that truly train and work with agents, it is a slap in the nuts and a loss for those who need that level of support. But, how much does any MA or independent agent need an FMO that merely serves as a place to drop our business? Maybe Healthnet is on to something?

They made an agreement for the FMO to contract agents using the FMO funds for a piece of the compensation now that said agents are contracted and members enrolled they cut the middlemen who laid the golden egg. I am not an FMO or even an upline but I think this is a scum sucker move.

Perhaps Aetna or CIGNA. They have to watch out for the Tricare contracts.

Health Net seems to have a major focus on government contracts. They are heavy in Tricare and the duals. I don't know how much ACA business they have on the books.

If I had a crystal ball, I would guess Aetna. But that's just a WAG. Health Net does have some dual and pretend dual plans that probably would help Aetna. UHC doesn't need them unless they are excited about entering the IFP market in CA just before it completely self-destructs. Rick

Calif friend heard a rumor that HealthNet would make agents "go captive"!!- good grief.

To comply with MLR, commissions have be cut dramatically, and, many of my carriers have cut staff to the bare minimum.
The GA's are in the cross hairs.

To comply with MLR, commissions have be cut dramatically, and, many of my carriers have cut staff to the bare minimum.
The GA's are in the cross hairs.

Odd that you mention that, some of the marketers from Applecare Insurance Services recently left and I heard today that the marketers at Caremore are also gone.

Healthnet was helping the state implement the cci which had kept being pushed back . In January all the duals (amber2)were moved over to the program. Healthnet starting seeing a huge disenrollments from cci over to saphire (look alike) which the state didn't like it . Coming off sanctions just a few years ago Healthnet does not want to risk losing there govt biz including the aca and the tri care contracts so Healthnet blames the Fmo for the Disenrollments and terms contracts to slow down disenrollments from cci to sapphire...two weeks ..before Healthnet termed all the Fmo/magy they had termed a particular Fmo(one of the largest out of sd ) who was moving business by the thousands

Last edited:
This just gives you the 'warm fuzzies' reading it, doesn't it?
(some information removed and emphasis added)
From Health Net:
Dear Valued Affiliated Producer,

On June 1, 2015 Health Net Medicare Broker Sales in California and Arizona provided notice of a business decision to end its relationship with all of its contracted Managing Agencies (MAGY), General Agencies (GA) & Field Marketing Organizations (FMO), as of July 31, 2015. We understand producers have many questions and this e-mail should provide some clarification.

• The decision is in no way a reflection of the quality of these
agencies' business practices. Health Net values the membership
provided by these agencies. This is purely a business decision to
which no other details will be provided.

Should you have any further questions please contact your Health Net Medicare Broker Sales Account Executive. Thank you for your understanding and continued support of Health Net.

Back