Help! Phone Sales - Some Basics No One Talks About

Itstheloa

Expert
Hi everyone!

I spend quite a bit of time searching this forum and reading all the opinions/advice. However there are some things I need definitive answers for. I'm sure it'll do wonders for my self-imposed angst ;)

I'm a new agent, have YIO and Frank's training ( :( .. ) , have read and read but - and I apologize if any of these questions are silly -

- Paper applications: most seniors do this? Am I filling it out with them over the phone, mailing them the filled out application, and have them mail to the Insurance company themselves? Anyone do this process differently?

- I've read some people say they don't go into private medical info however I reviewed these applications which clearly ask for specifics. I'm guessing the "pre-screening" questions are the ones that don't get too specific? Anyone have a method they are willing to share?

- Payments: Am I taking credit card/banking info over the phone or are they attaching this or a void check to paper applications that I mail them? Any recommendation in being professional and helping someone feel secure in providing such private info over the phone?

- Any way to create a work flow where I ensure applications are submitted? (instead of leaving it to the senior to submit) I would think me submitting to the carrier ensures that the ball gets rolling

- MAKING SURE they cancel their other med supp carrier after 30 days (I am targeting 67 and above). I get that it is not the agents responsibility to cancel. But the horror stories about seniors having 2 coverages at once for as much as 2 years has me nervous. How do you handle this and ensure you cover yourself?

I just want to make sure that I am being responsible and respectful of people's private information. I don't know what the protocols are here and worried about starting:1baffled:. Cold calls are scary enough as it is without the "sounding-like-a-bumbling-fool" bit.

Thank you guys!

if u really want to make sure u get it back signed, u could have fed-ex/ups come to their house to pick it up.

I would definitely fill out as much of the application for them as possible. The less they have to do the better, because, that's less that they can possibly miss.

I always prescreen, I ask all the health questions before I'm even willing to mail them an application. I ask them in detail I read them word for word.

Unless your doing e-app I wouldn't fill it out over the phone. That's a waste of your time and there's, just get the info you need and do it later.

Don't take Bank info over the phone or SS. It sketches out the client and that's something they can put on the app when they get it.

I would definitely have them mail the app back to you and not the company. You don't know if: They even mailed it, if they mailed it to the right address, the home office, a sales office ect. Your the only one that can control where it goes.

I wouldn't worry about the canceling, while it should be a small concern I wouldn't get to involved here. Just make the supplements effective for 2 months out and it leaves plenty of time for everything.

Also, I bought Franks deal as well, unless he changed it in the last few years, his methods were definitely geared towards face to face sales.

Last edited:
if u really want to make sure u get it back signed, u could have fed-ex/ups come to their house to pick it up.

Touche

Thanks!

I would definitely have them mail the app back to you and not the company. You don't know if: They even mailed it, if they mailed it to the right address, the home office, a sales office ect. Your the only one that can control where it goes.

Also, I bought Franks deal as well, unless he changed it in the last few years, his methods were definitely geared towards face to face sales.

Ah so with both of your advice, I see there's a cost of business thing happening - agents in my situation typically foot the cost for sending it out like this

And yes the training had a lot of face to face advice that I'm trying to apply to phone sales.

So do some scripts I found online

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Touche

Thanks!

Ah so with both of your advice, I see there's a cost of business thing happening - agents in my situation typically foot the cost for sending it out like this

And yes the training had a lot of face to face advice that I'm trying to apply to phone sales.

So do some scripts I found online

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I have found seniors WILL mail back the application.

I have them mail it back to ME and ME only.

I would suggest filing out all the info on the app. In regards to the banking info, no instruct them to mail in a voided check with the app.

- Paper applications: most seniors do this? Am I filling it out with them over the phone, mailing them the filled out application, and have them mail to the Insurance company themselves? Anyone do this process differently?

When I do a paper application (I have been doing mostly e-apps for the last two years, but did paper apps prior to that) I complete EVERYTHING on the application with the exception of the banking information (just have them include a paper application when they return the paperwork to me).

I place "sign here" tabs in all places they need to sign and include a postage paid envelope for them to return the application to me. I also include specific instructions on which pages to sign and what they can expect over the next few weeks. I also explain that they will need to contact their existing carrier to cancel their Med Supp, but not until AFTER we have received notification that they have been approved with the new carrier.

- I've read some people say they don't go into private medical info however I reviewed these applications which clearly ask for specifics. I'm guessing the "pre-screening" questions are the ones that don't get too specific? Anyone have a method they are willing to share?

I'm not mailing them an application until I know they can answer 'no' to all of the health questions. And as I stated above, I complete the entire application so all they have to do is sign. As has been pointed out, the less they have to do, the less they can mess up and the more likely you are to receive the application back from them.

- Payments: Am I taking credit card/banking info over the phone or are they attaching this or a void check to paper applications that I mail them? Any recommendation in being professional and helping someone feel secure in providing such private info over the phone?

If they are paying monthly bank draft I just tell them to return a voided check with the application. If paying another method I instruct them to send the payment with the application. If you are professional with them, they expect to have to provide the information needed to finalize the process.

You really need to learn to lead the conversation. This only comes from trial and error. Over time it will become second nature.

I suggest doing it face to face. I have never mailed out an application or done one over the phone or online. I also very rarely mail the actual policy to them, I again deliver it in person. I lose less then 5 people per year because of personal service to my client's. I fax every application to my FMO and then they send me an e-mail verifying they received it and forwarded it to the appropriate company. Wednesday I am driving 50 miles one way to have a client sign a GTL hospital indemnity plan application. They appreciate me meeting them in person rather then mailing it to them and having to mail it back to me.

Wednesday I am driving 50 miles one way to have a client sign a GTL hospital indemnity plan application. They appreciate me meeting them in person rather then mailing it to them and having to mail it back to me.
That's really nice, and might make you feel good, but it severely restricts your ability to produce big numbers - and income. Time is your most valuable commodity, once it's lost you can never recover it!

Yeah, I'm really hurting. At least I'm not out having to try and replace all the people I lose all the time because of the lack of customer service and the people have never even met me in person because everything is done over the phone.

So, the only way to give customer service is to spend windshield time and face time for a $40 commission? Do you visit them every year for the renewal and come to their birthday party as well?

Back