High Deductible F for Vets?

Todd, would you expand your comments a bit, with the bolded statement in mind?

The comments in this thread have the potential to help or harm a group of people of unknown size. This thread is an interesting counterpoint to another thread in which solely F and then F and G are going to be offered by an agent. There is an implication here that an agent would recommend HDF to an "occupational group" without considering underlying insurance needs.

I am being "taught" on site here that a good agent looks to needs and emotional drivers of a prospective purchaser, prior to recommending any course of action in regard to Medigap or MA. Your vocabulary distinction of "disabled vet" as a subset of "vet" is something else that needs to be remembered in this discussion.

I am a guest - above the line - if you will, but in this instance I am speaking as a 72 year old Vietnam era veteran with no service related disabilities who purchased, after some deliberation an HDF plan from another agent on the forum. After reading a lot of posts on the site, I know exactly why I got HDF, and it WAS an emotional reason. My approach to having that plan involves a "payment" that may very well get me into a plan F cash flow level. I would be hard pressed to recommend that anyone-as a component of some group or another-should take an HDF plan and I am concerned about veterans being hurt as a result of inappropriate advice.

As you've probably gathered, one of the big attractions of a traditional Med Supp is the idea that you pay a fixed premium and have little to no out of pocket costs. Typically this was a Plan F, but more are going with Plan G now if they end up with an agent who has the client's best interests in mind.

Most people expect a Medigap to cover all of the gaps, probably because someone they trust told them that they shouldn't accept anything other than traditional Plan F. HDF cuts against the grain of the "pay it and rest easy" ethos of Med Supp in which people are outraged to have to pay a nickel when they go to the doctor, much less the hospital.

I think HDF can be a good plan IF the member understands what it is. It gives you some of the cost savings of a MA plus the access to care afforded by Original Medicare. Ditto for Plan N, to a lesser degree. But these haven't proved to be the "MA killers" that some thought they'd be in 2010. I think part of that is that in many cases they are too expensive (especially once you add in Part D) and because they don't quite do what many expect a Supp to do.

It seems that HDF in particular hasn't really taken off because people are either already in poor health at 65 (in this part of the country, that is very common) or because they fear a decline in health in the future and don't want to be stuck paying the deductible every year. But someone "stuck" with having to do that can still be a lot better off than some who are in other situations that I've come across.

With regard to Veterans, I think the thread starter's thinking is to have the Supp as a fall back option in case he needs to use other providers in the future, but he'd need to log back on and give us a few more details to be sure, including addressing the questions Todd raised.

The idea behind HDF and N to begin with was trying to balance affordability with good coverage when and if it is needed and not paying "extra" for first dollar coverage. I'm not prepared to say that's definitely wrong, although I'd probably go with Plan G in most cases, as others here have recommended. (But I haven't seen rates in every state. Plan N may be much more attractive elsewhere. In a lot of cases, it is only about $20 a month cheaper than Plan G.) I have known a good many veterans take a MA plan instead in similar circumstances. The bottom line is having an out of pocket limitation on Medicare costs.

----------

I'm simply trying to find out if he is disabled, which would allow him to go to the VA for anything, anytime (except dental in most circumstances). If he is disabled then he has the ability to continue to use the VA. Even when he turns 65 and is on Medicare, the VA will bill Medicare and then pick up the extra. Now, that won't work if he uses a doc or hospital outside of the VA. At that point he would only have Medicare and would be responsible for the other 20%.

He mentioned that he may not be able to use the VA at some point in the future and I'm wondering why he is saying that. Is there some special circumstance where he might lose it? I can't think of one, but who knows?

I have never heard of a disabled vet losing their right to go to the VA and I don't see the gov't taking it away from all of us who rely on the VA.

I personally use the VA for everything (except dental). I live 15 minutes from the local VA hospital. I'm not even close to 65, but at this point I see no reason to have insurance to cover me when I'm already being covered at 100%. Now, if I didn't live that close or if I have to start seeing a doc outside of the VA for some reason, I may just want that Med Supp when I turn 65. Either way, I am not in any way, shape, or form fearful that I'll lose my ability to go to the VA.

Todd,

I thought you were in insurance sales. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, wouldn't you agree? ;) Perhaps our veteran friend had that drilled into his head 500 times during his sales training back in the day.

I don't think I've ever sold a Supp to someone who uses the VA. I've sold a MA a few times to people that use the VA, but in almost every case it was to someone who already had one with a different plan. These are cases where the drive to the VA Hospital might be an hour or so and they want to be able to use (or do use) a local doctor, pharmacy, hospital, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, this isn't the first time that I've heard a veteran express concern about losing access to the VA. In at least some cases, I think this fear is due to a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
As you've probably gathered, one of the big attractions of a traditional Med Supp is the idea that you pay a fixed premium and have little to no out of pocket costs. Typically this was a Plan F, but more are going with Plan G now if they end up with an agent who has the client's best interests in mind.

Most people expect a Medigap to cover all of the gaps, probably because someone they trust told them that they shouldn't accept anything other than traditional Plan F. HDF cuts against the grain of the "pay it and rest easy" ethos of Med Supp in which people are outraged to have to pay a nickel when they go to the doctor, much less the hospital.

I think HDF can be a good plan IF the member understands what it is. It gives you some of the cost savings of a MA plus the access to care afforded by Original Medicare. Ditto for Plan N, to a lesser degree. But these haven't proved to be the "MA killers" that some thought they'd be in 2010. I think part of that is that in many cases they are too expensive (especially once you add in Part D) and because they don't quite do what many expect a Supp to do.

It seems that HDF in particular hasn't really taken off because people are either already in poor health at 65 (in this part of the country, that is very common) or because they fear a decline in health in the future and don't want to be stuck paying the deductible every year. But someone "stuck" with having to do that can still be a lot better off than some who are in other situations that I've come across.

With regard to Veterans, I think the thread starter's thinking is to have the Supp as a fall back option in case he needs to use other providers in the future, but he'd need to log back on and give us a few more details to be sure, including addressing the questions Todd raised.

The idea behind HDF and N to begin with was trying to balance affordability with good coverage when and if it is needed and not paying "extra" for first dollar coverage. I'm not prepared to say that's definitely wrong, although I'd probably go with Plan G in most cases, as others here have recommended. (But I haven't seen rates in every state. Plan N may be much more attractive elsewhere. In a lot of cases, it is only about $20 a month cheaper than Plan G.) I have known a good many veterans take a MA plan instead in similar circumstances. The bottom line is having an out of pocket limitation on Medicare costs.

----------

Todd,

I thought you were in insurance sales. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, wouldn't you agree? ;) Perhaps our veteran friend had that drilled into his head 500 times during his sales training back in the day.

I don't think I've ever sold a Supp to someone who uses the VA. I've sold a MA a few times to people that use the VA, but in almost every case it was to someone who already had one with a different plan. These are cases where the drive to the VA Hospital might be an hour or so and they want to be able to use (or do use) a local doctor, pharmacy, hospital, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, this isn't the first time that I've heard a veteran express concern about losing access to the VA. In at least some cases, I think this fear is due to a misunderstanding.

I just wished I knew what was being said to make vets think they'll lose something. I think it's preposterous!

I just wished I knew what was being said to make vets think they'll lose something. I think it's preposterous!

In the Agent Orange case, I think it was because he was told by someone that his course of treatment was finished after he was declared to be cancer free. Right or wrong, he interpreted that to mean that the VA was through with him and wouldn't help him anymore if the cancer returned. I told him to contact the VA to get clarification. I'm not sure if he had ever used the VA for anything else.

In the Agent Orange case, I think it was because he was told by someone that his course of treatment was finished after he was declared to be cancer free. Right or wrong, he interpreted that to mean that the VA was through with him and wouldn't help him anymore if the cancer returned. I told him to contact the VA to get clarification. I'm not sure if he had ever used the VA for anything else.

When it comes to "disabled" vets, they'll get a "disability percentage". It could even be 0%, but at least they've been awarded they "disability" status. As long as he has that, then he's golden and won't have a problem in the future. If they have not awarded him a disability, he should look into that and find out why.

First off, before we can give you a good answer, are you a disabled vet? If so, why would you think you wouldn't always qualify? If you are a disabled vet, then you may want to consider not getting any sort of supplement at all. Are you a retired vet? If so, same answer...you don't need anything.

The only reason I've found that a disabled vet gets a Supp or MA plan is so they can see doctors outside of the VA. If you currently get all of your care through the VA then there's no good reason to get a Med Supp or MA plan.

As I'm sure you know Todd, the VA will pay in a non- VA facility under certain conditions.

Emergency Care - Health Benefits

First off, before we can give you a good answer, are you a disabled vet? If so, why would you think you wouldn't always qualify? If you are a disabled vet, then you may want to consider not getting any sort of supplement at all. Are you a retired vet? If so, same answer...you don't need anything.

The only reason I've found that a disabled vet gets a Supp or MA plan is so they can see doctors outside of the VA. If you currently get all of your care through the VA then there's no good reason to get a Med Supp or MA plan.

Not disabled yet... i did apply for service connected disability due to benzine exposure in JP5 Jet fuel. To be decided.

With my dependents going away and income going up I can be forced out due to income limits.

Interesting discussion. Thanks for input to all.

Not disabled yet... i did apply for service connected disability due to benzine exposure in JP5 Jet fuel. To be decided.

With my dependents going away and income going up I can be forced out due to income limits.

Interesting discussion. Thanks for input to all.

If you can get that disability you'll be all set. I hope they don't drag out your decision like I usually see. I sure would be nice to know before you turn 65.

I'm missing something. Forced out of what? How are you able to get VA care now, without being a disabled vet?

If you can get that disability you'll be all set. I hope they don't drag out your decision like I usually see. I sure would be nice to know before you turn 65.

I'm missing something. Forced out of what? How are you able to get VA care now, without being a disabled vet?

Navy 70-74 Vietnam Era . No Combat due to Mama's Prayers being answered.
I think I Class 8 if I remember correctly. Other Vets kept telling me to apply and I did and got it at 59-60. So it does have a income limit on it now.

Navy 70-74 Vietnam Era . No Combat due to Mama's Prayers being answered.
I think I Class 8 if I remember correctly. Other Vets kept telling me to apply and I did and got it at 59-60. So it does have a income limit on it now.

I see. I pray you get the service connected disability. It's a game changer!

Back