High Deductible F for Vets?

I have a few vet's on Medigap. All live within 30 miles or so of the nearest VA facility.

All have some form of service related disability.

They bought a Medigap (usually N) and a drug plan because they didn't want to line up in the VA queue for a non-service related condition.

They want access to any hospital, not just VA.

They bought the drug plan because sometimes the VA pharmacy doesn't have a particular drug in stock and they don't want to wait.

All of them asked for Medigap and PDP. I did not seek them out. Also let them tell me the kind of coverage they wanted and when it would be used.

I never felt a responsibility to push a plan on a vet or try to convince them why one plan was better than the other.

Most of my VA clients want HDF. They go to the VA for most things, but want some coverage if they want to go to another doctor, even knowing the plan pays noting until the HDF is met.

It is 1 reason I started looking into the HDF plans in the area. I do not sell a lot of them. Plan G is the number one seller in my book of business.

Most of my VA clients want HDF. They go to the VA for most things, but want some coverage if they want to go to another doctor, even knowing the plan pays noting until the HDF is met.

It is 1 reason I started looking into the HDF plans in the area. I do not sell a lot of them. Plan G is the number one seller in my book of business.

While it's true that the HDF plan doesn't pay anything until the $2,200 (2017) deductible is met, Medicare will pay. Outpatient services are mostly paid at 80%, once the patient meets the Part B deductible which goes from $166 to $183 in 2017, and Medicare pays after the hospital deductible of $1,316 in 2017.

Example: 2 or 3 office visits, maybe with tests, easily over the $183 Part B deductible. Then, another office visit with the Medicare allowable charge, often the 20% is $16 or so.

Although the Part A hospital deductible would hit pretty hard, the day to day Part B medical situations may actually be lower out of pocket than for those on a Medicare Advantage plan. The maximum out of pocket on the HDF is way less than half the max out of pocket on most MA plans. Not a get rich quick sales scheme, but it's the right thing for some clients.

While it's true that the HDF plan doesn't pay anything until the $2,200 (2017) deductible is met, Medicare will pay. Outpatient services are mostly paid at 80%, once the patient meets the Part B deductible which goes from $166 to $183 in 2017, and Medicare pays after the hospital deductible of $1,316 in 2017.

Example: 2 or 3 office visits, maybe with tests, easily over the $183 Part B deductible. Then, another office visit with the Medicare allowable charge, often the 20% is $16 or so.

Although the Part A hospital deductible would hit pretty hard, the day to day Part B medical situations may actually be lower out of pocket than for those on a Medicare Advantage plan. The maximum out of pocket on the HDF is way less than half the max out of pocket on most MA plans. Not a get rich quick sales scheme, but it's the right thing for some clients.

Excellent post! I too use the HDF for those who understand value.

As you said, w won't get rich on this product. But doing what's right trumps a high commission.

Some won't bother. We call those people "bad agents."

Rick

I'm a vet, go to them once a year for a checkup, flu shots pneumonia shots, etc. They claim that all is well with me. I also wrote myself a HDF with United American and a PDP with Humana. I like being able to go to top docs also the peace of mind of having a Medicap plan. My max out if pocket is $2180; that's an awful lot of 20% co pays.................;)

Back