How Do You Present Med Supp Value Over MA and $0 Premium?

For those who travel much out of the metro area or out of state, a supp is often a better option. I once knew a guy who went to great lengths to try to disguise where he had gotten some routine blood work done because his plan didn't really work outside his county or state unless it was emergency or urgent care. And that is only a minor example.

Regardless, in major metros where the major players have the vast majority of providers in network, it is usually difficult to sell a supp unless there is some special circumstance such as the above. But in other areas where reimbursement is lower or where providers are more resistant to contracting, a supp is often more attractive. Many are quite happy with their $0 premium plan until their favorite doctor or hospital threatens to not take it anymore. The network is not necessarily written in stone, especially if the plan hasn't been there for long. Neither are the current copays. Many don't realize they are stuck with regard to not being able to get a (GI) supp later unless their plan terminates. I run across people like this all the time who got a MA at 65 and didn't think of this at the time.

Last edited:
Husband and wife have been supp clients of mine for 2- 3 years and now they have decided to go with their neighbors UHC Medicare agent and a $0 premium.

He says I've never even talked with him about Medicare Advantage. I always go over both options but I think at this point he feels I've been ripping him off the past couple of years being on supplements.

I presented some of the differences between the two options again as well as the value of supps over MA. His words:

"I don't give a shiz."

Most people cant remember what they had for breakfast.

I always go ever both as well.
usually they go sup and many times I hear I finally understand everything and the difference between plans

But a year later they call and say hey I just seen this plan for $0
what's this all about

It happens to everyone

----------

As far as value

Supp gives the freedom to travel
Go to many of the specialty places that except Medicare but no HMO's
Very little to no out of pocket

no paper work for claims easy and convenient

This is what I would want my mother to have
Choice and piece of mind in a time of need (if god forbid you get a major condition)

I have both MA & MCS. I present both, and give the pros and cons to each side. I go over scenarios of how each will pay at time the time of service.

One major factor that I see in determining their decision is peace of mind. With MA - contract between Gov & Company - you are on the outside looking in. The Plan WILL change, and may cancel. With MCS - the only thing that can change is premium, but we can insulate that some by choosing Plan G or N. Most like the idea of getting off of the "roller coaster" that is MA. Of course, they will stay on it to a degree with their PDP.

And yes, just like everyone else has said, some (not all) still call a year later wanting to know about that $0 plan that someone in their church has.

As someone mentioned - MCS is what I would put my mother on - what I would do personally.

I explain both - but sell MCS, because I know they won't be disappointed down the road (networks/approvals/plan changes/misunderstood costs). I think I have done them a service, if they can afford a supp, and choose it over the unstable $0 prem MA plans. As you know, our compensation for either is comparable - so that's not the reason for the persuasion.

I have both MA & MCS. I present both, and give the pros and cons to each side.

I explain both - but sell MCS, because I know they won't be disappointed down the road (networks/approvals/plan changes/misunderstood costs). I think I have done them a service, if they can afford a supp, and choose it over the unstable $0 prem MA plans. As you know, our compensation for either is comparable - so that's not the reason for the persuasion.

A word of unsolicited advice.

Just stop it.

Stop explaining both. You are wasting your time and theirs.

Do a better job asking probing questions up front and present one option. The option that fits best with what THEY want.

Do everything you can while asking your questions to "weed out" all other options.

You'll enjoy your new freedom when you do this.

Only time you should EVER discuss the other plan is when they ask, "my friend has "x" plan, is that any good?" Your response is simple: that is an option, but you told me that you wanted "x" and the plan you are in now fits better. Do you no longer want "X"?

Hope this makes sense.

----------

Somarco recommended question based selling on the forum a while ago. I read it twice since then. It has helped me, I rarely lose out to a different agent/carrier.

Huge time saver.

A word of unsolicited advice.

Just stop it.

Stop explaining both. You are wasting your time and theirs.

Do a better job asking probing questions up front and present one option. The option that fits best with what THEY want.

Do everything you can while asking your questions to "weed out" all other options.

You'll enjoy your new freedom when you do this.

Only time you should EVER discuss the other plan is when they ask, "my friend has "x" plan, is that any good?" Your response is simple: that is an option, but you told me that you wanted "x" and the plan you are in now fits better. Do you no longer want "X"?

Hope this makes sense.

----------

Somarco recommended question based selling on the forum a while ago. I read it twice since then. It has helped me, I rarely lose out to a different agent/carrier.

Huge time saver.

I agree and disagree

I always find it beneficial to explain the pro's and cons of both'
However I mean an overview.

Then I ask questions to bring out what is most important to them
As the lean 1 way or another then I start to get into price and beni's

I usually only have to go in depth on 1 plan but an overview of how Supp's and MA difer from each other is very important

I am currently undergoing physical therapy. 3 times per week for 6 weeks.. Since I have original Medicare combined with a plan F, when I get done I will owe $0 in copays. A friend also was having PT. He had a $30 monthly premium Humana MA. About three weeks into treatment he received a bill from the PT company for $400.. He learned the hard way that Humana doesn't pay everything as he thought.. He paid the bill but discontinued his PT. That is the sad thing about MAs. Even though they have a Max OP limit, many people do without treatment they need because they find the copays (especially out of network) prohibitive.

Last edited:

Huge time saver.

Thx for the shout out, Scott.

When agents learn to ask questions, shut up and listen they stop selling and start helping people buy what they want and need.

Here is the link, and no, I don't make a dime off this.

I agree and disagree

I always find it beneficial to explain the pro's and cons of both'
However I mean an overview.

Then I ask questions to bring out what is most important to them
As the lean 1 way or another then I start to get into price and beni's

I usually only have to go in depth on 1 plan but an overview of how Supp's and MA difer from each other is very important

I have no problem with giving an overview if *they want* an overview. Some people (far fewer than we think) are really interested in insurance plan structures.

Do your prospects want an overview?

Mine don't.

Most say they do. But they don't *really* want an overview when it comes down to it. They want the urgent care 2 miles from them to be in network, and they want their lantus at a good price at their favorite local pharmacy.

Oh. And when their friends talk about SilverSneakers over coffee at McDonalds, they don't want to be the only one without it even if they won't use it.

The vast majority say they want "information" and education....but they aren't really seeking education. They want YOU to listen to Them.

My $.02 worth about what you paid for it.

I have no problem with giving an overview if *they want* an overview. Some people (far fewer than we think) are really interested in insurance plan structures.

Do your prospects want an overview?

Mine don't.

Most say they do. But they don't *really* want an overview when it comes down to it. They want the urgent care 2 miles from them to be in network, and they want their lantus at a good price at their favorite local pharmacy.

"

I agree most don't want it But I have heard too many times when I was greener

Hey I was able to get the supplement for just $20 or free
Must have lost about 15-20 deals that 1st year

But now my clients are not so easily confused into thinking its the same thing
and I sell and keep more deals

Back