How Long Does New Enrollee Have to Decline Part B

junkman

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a small group client in CA who auto enrolled in Medicare Part A and B because of age. He wants to remain on the small group thru December. The group is small enough that Medicare is primary and the current carrier does not reduce premium for those who remain on medicare.

How long from his Medicare effective date does he have to unenroll? What is the process?

What carrier would you use for an F, High Deductible F or G med supp? What is an approximate rate for those plans? Male 65 zip 94956

Sounds like you need to refer him out to someone that deals with this stuff daily. Declining part B will leave him uninsured for anything part B related and the group plan will only pay as if he had part B. Advise him against it.

I have a small group client in CA who auto enrolled in Medicare Part A and B because of age. He wants to remain on the small group thru December. The group is small enough that Medicare is primary and the current carrier does not reduce premium for those who remain on medicare. How long from his Medicare effective date does he have to unenroll? What is the process? What carrier would you use for an F, High Deductible F or G med supp? What is an approximate rate for those plans? Male 65 zip 94956
He did not get auto enrolled because of age. Auto enroll happens for those who have ever applied for SS benefits and they get their card with A and B 3.5 months before first day of 65th birth month.

Usually it's a bad idea to decline Part B if employer has fewer than 20 on payroll. Process is to contact SSA to get counseled on consequences of dropping Part B, then an application.

$23.97 for HDF with ANICO
$131 for Globe's Plan F (but I wouldn't write them)
$136.61 for Continental's Plan F
$113.18 for Plan G with Trans Premier (Tough company to deal with)
$120.62 for Plan G with Continental Life.

I've been told recently that I don't promote ourselves on the forum for Med Supp and Med Advantage plans, so I'm putting it out here now. If you need contracts just give us a call.

Sounds like you need to refer him out to someone that deals with this stuff daily. Declining part B will leave him uninsured for anything part B related and the group plan will only pay as if he had part B. Advise him against it.

You're right & I will refer the business later. He'll stay on the plan and Parts A&B for a while. Others on the group have reason to have the group intact until year end when they will bail to individual plans.

He has a 7/1 effective date with Medicare. His wife went on an Advantage plan a few years ago and he'll likely do the same. Their decision process is unusual and they have what I'd consider an overly rich benefit plan in today's world. I personally don't like the network and out of pocket liabilities in the Advantage plans that I've looked at but it isn't my decision. No telling what he will choose.

When did you get in the Medicare business?

We've always been in it. We've been an FMO for years. For some reason we became known as a go-to for FE though. I guess we just never promoted ourselves in the right way, huh? :nah:

As a matter of fact, if it weren't for my own Med Supp renewals I would have never been able to become an FMO or IMO for anything!

For zip code 94956, there are two MA HMO's available, $66/mo, and, $97/mo.

This guy is still working, can afford premium and travels. One of the supps would be my choice but I'm not him. I'll post back when I find out what they're doing about the group plan.

Back