I Need Some Advise. Part B Penalty?

kennethbroyles

Guru
100+ Post Club
I had a called today on a company lead from UNH. After getting to know him... I found out he has been in a TN prison 16yr. and turned 65 in prison 8 yrs. ago. Soooooo... medicare is charging the penalty for not getting part B. To me this would be the same need for credible proof, as someone working to 73 and having benefits from work? Get a letter and attach it to the app. No not that easy is it.. we need to have a SEP approved by Medicare before we submit an application with attached "COC"? I think he is locked in with a MCO that he wants to change ASAP. What do ya'll think? Anyone ever cross this challenge?

Thanks

I had a called today on a company lead from UNH. After getting to know him... I found out he has been in a TN prison 16yr. and turned 65 in prison 8 yrs. ago. Soooooo... medicare is charging the penalty for not getting part B. To me this would be the same need for credible proof, as someone working to 73 and having benefits from work? Get a letter and attach it to the app. No not that easy is it.. we need to have a SEP approved by Medicare before we submit an application with attached "COC"? I think he is locked in with a MCO that he wants to change ASAP. What do ya'll think? Anyone ever cross this challenge?

Thanks

What is MCO?

Is he getting charged the Part B penalty now (i.e. has Part B but is paying more) or is it that he only has Part A now? As far as I know the only way to avoid the penalty is if he had credible coverage and enrolled in Part B within the SEP window.

I would think that if you mail in pics of your prison tats to Social Security, you should be able to get the penalty waived.

Yes he is paying the penalty now, about double $186. I almost forgot to tell ya.... this man signed up for Part D.... at first he had a penalty because of not enrolling in part when first eligible. He appealed through someone and the reversed the decision. Said I'm sorry cant do anything about Part B. I looked up the number and talked to someone like a receptionist at Tn Dept. Of Corrections/ Inmate Health care, who couldnt find anyone to help, bust said she would have someone call. I would think they could provide a certificate of coverage. Ya think?

MCO= Managed Care Organization.

Thanks
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I would think that if you mail in pics of your prison tats to Social Security, you should be able to get the penalty waived.

I didn't think of that. I knew I would get lots of help here. Thanks!

Last edited:
The part B penalty is only waived for the "working aged". In other words, beneficiary is primary on their employer plan and secondary w/Medicare.

I would think a rep at the MA company might be able to point you the right direction. Probably someone in Compliance. If not, I would check with the State SS office. All else fails, contact CMS directly. Even though the hold is long, I've gotten lots of answers by calling CMS directly.

Back