I See the Writing on the Wall

chainedtotelesales

Just got news today in the call center that we have to start reading this disclaimer; "At this time, you can change plans to suit your needs. Please note, while currently you would not have to go through additional underwriting when switching from one of our AARP Medicare supplement plans to another, that could change in the future."

No word what will happen to the thousands of people that we sold plans to giving the "switch anytime you want" spiel. If you ask me it's bait and switch and someone should think lawsuit if they subject current enrollees to underwriting in the future.

Why would you make that a main selling point? I mention it only when it fits a need, But mainly if you sell the right plan from the start and the switch is just an afterthought I dont think you would have too many unhappy clients.

Besides I doubt they will change that

Just got news today in the call center that we have to start reading this disclaimer; "At this time, you can change plans to suit your needs. Please note, while currently you would not have to go through additional underwriting when switching from one of our AARP Medicare supplement plans to another, that could change in the future."

No word what will happen to the thousands of people that we sold plans to giving the "switch anytime you want" spiel. If you ask me it's bait and switch and someone should think lawsuit if they subject current enrollees to underwriting in the future.

It has never been a guarantee in writing so if I ever mentioned to a client I would give this disclaimer.I believe they do this so they can protect themselves from policyholders who may try to game the system by switching to F in January then back to N,G etc the next month.

Why would you make that a main selling point? I mention it only when it fits a need, But mainly if you sell the right plan from the start and the switch is just an afterthought I dont think you would have too many unhappy clients.

Besides I doubt they will change that

Op may be in a little different calling situation than you are and not have a choice in the matter.

I mention it. State that it is current policy, but could change.

Would you all think they would notify members of the change if they decided to do underwriting?

----------

Wouldn't a downgrade from f to g always be allowed?

Possibly. My limited experience is people purchase N and later want to move to F.

It's a HUGE selling point. If people know they can switch between the plans, anytime of year, as many times as they want, as their health or finances change...it gives us one more thing in AARP's favor and a reason they want to go with us/me than another company. I am not independent. I am in a call center selling just these plans so anything extra that we have over the other companies is a plus. They just took away one of the pluses.

I asked the question about notifying current members about future underwriting if they switch and have yet to hear back. I'll update if they give me any info.

It's a HUGE selling point only if you present it as such. Apparently you have and may have to rethink your pitch in the future.

It's a HUGE selling point only if you present it as such. Apparently you have and may have to rethink your pitch in the future.

I agree, I mention it occasionally when it comes up. Most of my AARP supps are NY and FL so really doesn't matter, NY has no underwriting and Fl very limited and in both those states AARP has the market cornered as far as pricing,which is the selling point, I have also found them competitive in CA, Although I haven't sold in west coast for 3 years now (other than referrals here and there)

In other states I only sell AARP when it an underwriting need or client insists, In both those cases Underwriting or the clients insist is the selling point

Sounds like OP is limited to AARP to sell, I don't know which states

At their annual get-togethers here in San Diego, UHC stresses it plenty, to the point of explaining how to utilize it to the customer's advantage. To them, it is huge. Since their commission is the same regardless of plan, it eliminates the sense of needing to sell the most expensive plan to garner the highest commissions.

Back