If Selling Med Supps, at what Point Does a County's MA Penetration Become Too High?

Bod

Expert
Failed at Googling this basic question.

What do you consider to be a high MA percentage? Starting at 0% MA penetration, up to what percentage do you like to see if selling Med Supps?

The county in PA where I live has an MA penetration of almost 34%, but I know plenty of people here who have a Supp. Surrounding counties hover around the same so I service them but generally, when I'm cold calling on the dialer it's for counties with 30% or less MA.

The national average for MA enrollment is 33% and 30% for Medicare supplements. MA enrollments are very rear to 34% nationwide now. Generally people who cannot afford supplements go with MA instead of just Medicare. Over 35% of seniors make under 150% of the FPL. If you want to focus on not selling MA plans, stay away from inner cities and market more affluent suburb areas. The data does exist for MA penetration, but most lists you will find will probably be outdated by 2 or 3 years.

Are cities with 40% MA a problem if they have a lot of rich enclaves? I assume the people in the richer zip codes have less MA and more Medigap—but that's an assumption.

100% penetration is a no go. Anything less means someone is buying Medigap. Your challenge is to figure out a way to find those folks.

And there is this.

Quite a few agents on this site complain that most folks can't afford a Medigap plan. I call BS on that.

My client base is mostly middle income but some folks are living off SS only while others are building new homes on the coast in their retirement years. Not a single client has ever said they cannot afford a Medigap plan.

When someone calls that is trying to decide, we discuss the merits of each then let them decide. I can probably count on one hand the number of people who were on the fence that opted for an MA plan.

I used to give away MA leads to an agent I trusted. Can't recall the last time I had a referral for him.

If you think only "rich" people will buy a Medigap you are missing a lot of low hanging fruit. The good news is, rich people will be the only ones who buy from you.

Back