Largest Health Insurance Companies

w.neil93

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to insurance and want to know the best health insurance & medicare companies.

Ultimately I want to become a producer for a major health insurance company but I need more experience.

I understand Cigna, Humana, Aetna, BCBS are good companies. Any others I should know about?

I also understand that medicare is more profitable than individual health insurance?

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to insurance and want to know the best health insurance & medicare companies.

Ultimately I want to become a producer for a major health insurance company but I need more experience.

I understand Cigna, Humana, Aetna, BCBS are good companies. Any others I should know about?

I also understand that medicare is more profitable than individual health insurance?

The companies you mentioned are Medicare Advantage. They all sell Medicare Supplements, but at this time, only Cigna's new Cigna Health and Life is competitive. In the Med Supp field, bigger isn't better. I'm not sure which companies are competitive in Chicago, as I work down state. I can look them up for you if you're that far along in the process, but I have a feeling you're not.

Will you be working in the Chicago area? Medicare Supplements are zip code priced and higher in the Chicago area. Medicare Advantage plans are based on the county the insured lives in and they have networks. The location you're selling in determines what the "best" companies for you to offer are.

To offer Medicare Advantage/PDP, you have to pass the AHIP and most companies also require you to pass their certification in addition to the AHIP test. Have you done that? Have you got your insurance license yet?

Forget about selling health insurance, that's a thing of the past.

Ultimately I want to be working downtown. I am not that far along, I have basic licenses and certifications and some CE. Blue cross corporate HQ is downtown and from my understanding they are the largest provider in Illinois.

----------

I have poked around the AHIP website but have not gotten anything from them yet.

Ultimately I want to be working downtown. I am not that far along, I have basic licenses and certifications and some CE. Blue cross corporate HQ is downtown and from my understanding they are the largest provider in Illinois.

You seem to have "largest" on the brain, so go with BCBS.:yes:

Hi,

by state:

Market Share and Enrollment of Largest Three Insurers- Large Group Market | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

overall in the US by market cap:

Health Insurance and Managed Health Care Companies:

Company Name Market Capitalization

United Healthcare (UNH) $91.8 billion
Wellpoint (WLP) $34.3 billion
Aetna (AET) $29.8 billion
CIGNA Corp. (CI) $26.8 billion
Humana (HUM) $21.1 billion
Centene Corp. (CNC) $5.7 billion
Health Net, Inc. (HNT) $3.9 billion
WellCare Health Plans (WCG) $3.1 billion
Healthspring (HS) $3.7 billion
Molina Healthcare (MOH) $2.4 billion
(Source: Thompson Reuters)

When evaluating carriers, size doesn't matter.

Having worked for and with some of the largest carriers in the country IMO smaller carriers are easier to work with, have better customer service and deliver more value.

If you think bigger = more security consider Mutual Benefit and AIG.

To be honest I'm a little confused in regards to Anthem, WellPoint & HCSC. I thought BCBS is part of these organizations along with other smaller organizations? I understand BCBS has groups divided by states.

To be honest I'm a little confused in regards to Anthem, WellPoint & HCSC. I thought BCBS is part of these organizations along with other smaller organizations? I understand BCBS has groups divided by states.

Wellpoint bought/merged with Anthem.They own the Blue Cross Plans in about 15 states - most of them under the Anthem Blue Cross name.

There's a BCBS Association they are all members of.

Anthem operates in X states

Wellmark is primarily Midwestern states.

HCSC has the rights in TX, OK, MO, NM and IL (and is "non-profit")

Florida has its own and is non-profit.

The rest are for profit. (I think)

NY and PA have multiple blues.

Then you've got separate one JUST for Kansas City.

There's no logic to it.

But its health insurance. Logic and health insurance are mutually exclusive

https://www.bcbs.com/about-us/bcbs-companies-and-licensees

Back