Leaving Brokerage

G

I am leaving my brokerage which owns the clients that I produced for them. I am wondering if the clients call me, they all have my personal number, and wants to switch to my new insurance carrier can I do it or is it likely that I will get a law suite from the former brokerage? I never signed a non-compete agreement. Please note that I am not talking about going after my clients to roll my entire book, I am talking about if they call me and I have a product that better suites thier needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have not signed a non-compete clause or something similar at your current work place I don't see any reason that you would get into trouble. I know a few people at my current job are making a lot of money just switching clients from their last place of work to the current one. Check you contract out again for a clause saying something along the lines of you can't switch a policy you wrote to another company for 18 months, that's what is in my contract. Hope that helps...

Most definitely reread your contract and if there is any question or even if you are sure have it reviewed by an attorney. Then if there is no problem I wouldn't wait for clients to call I would be proactive just letting them know you have changed brokerages but are still there to help them , will still review their coverage annually etc... and pick up business as it is appropriate.

Make sure that they contact you, not you contact them as using any of their information may be considered a theft of company secrets, and they can sue you for that.

I would also recommend that you wait for the policy to come up for renewal to make any changes, there is less of a chance of your previous employer finding out.

Thank you all. I do not have a contract with the brokerage, but I did sign paperwork when I was appointed to various companies under them. Do these non-competes show up in that paperwork?

Back