Is This Legal

This post is a perfect example of why I no longer sell Med Supp and will leave that to the rest of you fellows.. I do not need all the hassle involved with this line business at this stage in my life. :no:

Ohio excluded, the above posted material only applies if you are selling MA or PDP plans. Med supps can be sold with reckless abandon.

Correct, the medicare managed care marketing guidelines only apply to sales of CMS regulated products.

The entire manual is available via the link I posted, directly from CMS.

It is the guidelines you are expected to follow, regardless of what any carrier says, and if you are breaking those guidelines both you and the carrier can be held responsible.

I actually read the whole thing, because I was concerned that the carriers were incorrect on training because their rules appeared to be in conflict, and after reading it I noticed multiple places where trainers from the carriers were training using outdated rules and suggesting that sales reps break CMS guidelines.

Safest thing to do is avoid MAPD, but if you're going to sell MAPD, read that manual rather than trust the carriers.

I stopped the trainers for one carrier DURING a group training session in the break and literally showed them these guidelines during a training event held around AEP last season, and they were completely unaware of them and training the reps that they could cold call on med supp, wear a pin saying "ask me about medicare advantage" and go right into a MAPD presentation.

That is a cms violation according to the rule change in 5/2011, as is using a BRC mail card that is returned to you by a person signing it as consent to contact the person if the BRC card has not been approved by the carrier AND CMS prior to use.

You can mail a card with your phone number and they can call you, but you can not mail a business reply card to be returned to you, then call them based on the card being mailed back if it is not approved.

I'm still, 4 years later, trying to wrap my head around this scope stuff.
I have never mailed a customer a scope to sign before the initial appointment.
The directions from cms state to have the scope signed before the appt.
I go into the home, pull out the scope, have it initialed and signed then move on to the presentation, I have faxed in every scope and they all say, same day appt. I have never had any one call me on this.

Just curious: how do you know which scope to get signed or do you only have one company or are you using a generic Scope?

Just curious: how do you know which scope to get signed or do you only have one company or are you using a generic Scope?

CMS allows a generic scope and that is exactly what I use. I have a one-page, one-sides scope that has yet to be rejected.

I've never mailed it out in advance but have it signed before I begin my presentation.

Rick

CMS allows a generic scope and that is exactly what I use. I have a one-page, one-sides scope that has yet to be rejected.

I've never mailed it out in advance but have it signed before I begin my presentation.

Rick

I know at least 2 carriers (UHC & Humana) that say they will not accept a generic SOA and the submitted SOA must be on their exact form. I think I also saw that in the Anthem training, but since I avoid Anthem now, I don't worry about them.

I know at least 2 carriers (UHC & Humana) that say they will not accept a generic SOA and the submitted SOA must be on their exact form. I think I also saw that in the Anthem training, but since I avoid Anthem now, I don't worry about them.

Carriers can SAY they won't accept a CMS approved SOA, but they cannot do this. Anthem accepts it and so did UHC.

I don't sell Humana so can't speak for the debil.

Rick

Carriers can SAY they won't accept a CMS approved SOA, but they cannot do this. Anthem accepts it and so did UHC.

I don't sell Humana so can't speak for the debil.

Rick

I've sent in my generic SOA with UHC apps many times in the past couple of years. Never had a problem.

Back